Is this worth my money?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by joey4127, Mar 4, 2005.

1. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

2. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

1000 songs??

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I guess the freebies make it an attractive option but I'd still be tempted to pony up the extra $20 for a new mini with 18 hours battery life instead, are you eligible for an educational discount? I'm sure the carry case is going to be a bit tacky, the speakers crud and how often will you actually use the iTrip?

Whether something is worth it can only be determined by you. Me, I like the latest and greatest ;) :)

4. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

What is the iTrip?

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It transmits your iPods songs over FM so you can listen to it on your radio...but it's complete **** IMO.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

FM transmitter. Lets you wirelessly send music from your iPod to a nearby radio (such as in your car). Sound quality is pretty mediocre (to put it gently) though.

7. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

well i guess none of us are really qualified to tell you that, after all, it is your money, and we do not know how much you earn thus don't know the value of your money.

anyways, if you just need storage for less then 1000 songs, then i guess. but like the other guy said, then new models have a 18 hour battery life, that is 10 extra hours of playback. plus you also have room for 250 more songs. if you could affoard it, i would go for the new models. longer battery life, more songs

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

The iTrip is one of the freebies that they're offering with mini. Basically, it's an FM transmitter that allows music from your iPod to be played through an FM radio. Useful for in-car journeys but the quality isn't that great.

You are aware that new mini's have been released and the one being offered on the website is the old mini?

Edit: Wow, that was some quick replies from other people!

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

The new models come in at 4GB (exactly the same as before therefore no extra songs) or 6GB (an extra 500 songs if you're encoding at 128 kbps AAC). It's only $50 more for an extra 2GB so it's worth thinking about.

Oh and that colour blue is available anymore, if that's a factor in your decision.

10. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

I believe that is what I said when I said
    edit: format

11. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm confused aethier, it doesn't sound like we were saying the same thing.

I was trying to point out that:

1) There are two new models, the 4GB and the 6GB versions. This wasn't made clear in your post.

2) The new 4GB model has the same storage capacity as the old 4GB model, obviously. Therefore you will only have the ability to store more songs if you buy the 6GB model. Your post made it sound like new iPod = more songs, not the case.

3) The new 6GB version can hold 500 more songs (if you're using the same calculations as Apple), not the 250 as you stated.

So no, we weren't really saying the same thing... :confused:

12. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

If 4GB = 1000 songs, wouldn't 6GB equal 1500 songs? ;)

That means 500 more songs.

My own collection is 7.50GB, and there's stuff in there I could easily erase (or encode at lower quality). That 6GB blue iPod mini is really tempting.

Edit: munkle beat me to it.