Is Tim Cook a good CEO for Apple?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by raptorstv, Jan 16, 2013.

1. raptorstv macrumors 6502

2. adztaylor macrumors 68000

There are plenty of threads discussing the comepetence of Tim Cook. Look for one.

3. Random 995K macrumors 6502

4. abz1981 macrumors 65816

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

There are already so much press about Apple, why yet *another* unnecessary post.

6. Steve Expat macrumors newbie

Steve Expat

Tim was a interim CEO with 5 or 6 years max, and I believe that was job's plan for him, but the board saw the money continuing to toll in. But it's time for Tim to move back to the task he's a born genius at and that's CFO. Time to bring in someone who's future for Apple don't include a car, a watch and other old tech with a new face that excites no one. Tim is not a high end user like Jobs was. That's what Apple needs. Someone who craves the high end future product for himself that Apple will create. not easy to find, but it can be done and needs to be done now.

7. Tech198 macrumors G3

what are these high end products u speak of ? Steve been on longer so its all standard,,, it's still too early to decide if Time is good or not based on history...... That doesn't mean anything, since it can go either way.

8. Pakaku macrumors 65816

Pakaku

I always wondered what Apple was like during the Performa era. Now I get to experience the closest thing.

9. ppcebay macrumors 6502a

Yeah sure, the Performa era, the one with record sales, good market share and billiions in the bank....I remember that feeling.... /s

10. Pakaku macrumors 65816

Pakaku

Which era was the one where over-fragmented lineups nearly killed the company?

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 65816

yaxomoxay

Apple is successful, although the curve for the last quarter is headed towards the wrong direction. I am no Tim Cook fan but don't be irrational; finding a new good CEO that is able to keep the boat afloat is not easy, let alone finding someone that can replace Jobs.
    A bad CEO that looks good on paper might destroy Apple... remember Mr. Sculley? And Amelio?
    Consider another political factor: Cook was handpicked by Jobs, and at that moment the board couldn't go against Jobs will. If Cook has to leave, it will be up to the board (now in state of panic) to decide who's his successor, not up to the politically weakened Tim Cook. Are you really sure that you want the board to decide at this moment in time?
    However, Cook has to show some balls and get rid of a few key people.

12. I7guy macrumors G3

I believe he's doing a good job and Apple is doing well at the moment. Although the next few years are critical, imo.

13. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

He is apparently good for Apple at the moment, but definitely bad for Apple pro customers which in the near future will make him bad for Apple in general.

14. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68000

I'm not sure why Apple's "pro" users persist in the belief that the company depends upon them. Yeah, there's that whole, "What the pros use" thing, which companies like Nikon and Canon have played since the beginning. It's sold a lot of P&S cameras as well as enormous amounts of pro cameras to amateurs. And it works so long as you stay in the same line of business.

There were times that "what the pros use" was incredibly important to Apple, too, but that's when there was just one product, Mac. And it only worked for certain kinds of pros - mostly, in the media. The rest of the "pros" have been in the IBM PC camp since the beginning, because it was International Business Machines, baby. Talk about "what the pros use."

People who buy iPhones and iPads don't buy them because they're what the pros use. So, in what scenario will professionals using Macs once more become important to Apple? Presumably, if the entire iOS business crashes, and Mac comes out on top again by default. Because it would be by default - people are not going to return to desktops and laptops if the iOS business crashes. And if iOS crashes, it'll take a fair amount of the Mac business with it - it's no coincidence that Apple sells four times as many Macs today as it sold on the day the iPhone was introduced. Without the ecosystem/synergy, without the masses of iOS users who figured out, "Hmmm, if iPhone works this well, there must be something to that Mac thing after all," who's left? Presumably, a handful of self-important "pros" in niche markets.

If the iOS business crashes, it'll be because something even better comes along for the masses who have no interest in owning "computers." That could be wearables, voice control, robotics... Further extensions of integrating computing into everyday life. That's a field where "what the pros use" is totally meaningless. It's about every moment of waking life for every member of the family, not just what Dad and/or Mom do at work. Either Apple continues to move forward to the next computing paradigm (creative destruction), or it dies. There is no returning to the glory years of the PC.

I've heard plenty from doom-speaking Wall Street analysts and tech pundits, but I haven't heard a one of them suggest that Apple needs to pay attention to the pro PC market again. They all know that Tim's fortunes depend on the success of the iOS business or some new product line that has yet to be announced. Mass market, not niche.

15. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

He'd be a great CEO for any other company, but not Apple.

16. TheFluffyDuck macrumors member

The only CEO I can think of at the moment that is Jobs like is Elon Musk. But he is busy saving the planet.