Is Virtual PC any good?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JesseJames, Nov 25, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    I've been thinking about getting this program just to be able to share files with friends at work. Like sharing Microsoft Office files and what not.
    So I'd have the best of both worlds.
    I don't want to buy another computer any time soon.
    I'm perfectly happy with my 933Mghz G4 Quicksilver. Plenty powerful for my needs to date.
    So, does anyone have much experience with the program? Is it fluidic and non-troublesome? Considering that Microsoft bought the program and made it its baby you'd think it'd be great. :rolleyes:
    One can only hope. ;)
  2. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2004
    Microsoft Office for Mac files can be used by Office for PC with only minor problems using graphics on Powerpoint (easily remedied).

If that is why you want it you don't need Virtual PC, just Office for Mac.

Virtual PC is adequate for running apps that are not available for Mac (e.g. Visio, MS Project) but not games.
  3. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    The Mac and PC versions of Microsoft Office are 100% backwards compatible with each other. Microsoft did a really good job of making both versions work seamlessly without any trouble what so ever.

So for example:

If you make something on the PC version of Office in Word and make it bold red Times New Roman text and then save it, and email it to someone using a Mac. The person using the Mac can open it up on the Mac version of Office in Word and it will look EXACTLY the same as it does on the PC side.
    Then say they make the text green Arial, bold italic, save it, and then send it back to the person using the PC. They can open that right up in Word and it will look EXACTLY as it was left on the Mac version of Office.

So if thats all you need Virtual PC for, then spend the money on Microsoft Office for OS X instead.

Here is the link to Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac OS X:

Macs and PCs can be networked together easily. On the Mac, if you go to System Preferences, then to the Sharing System Preference, check the box that says Windows File Sharing. That enables the SMB protocol which makes it possible for the PC and the Mac to access each other. Its actually easier to access the Mac from the PC than it is to access the PC from the Mac because its a pain in the butt setting up the PC to make it work correctly. On the PC side just right click on My Computer and select Map Network Drive. Then put in //ipaddressofmac/username and it should ask you for a username and password. Use the username and password of the Mac, not the PC for the user you're logging into on the Mac side.

Example: //

You can also put in the name of the Mac instead of the IP address.

Example: //computername/joeuser

On the Mac you change the computer name in the Sharing System Preference which, again, is inside System Preferences. I just use iMac for my iMac and iBook for my iBook. Keep it short and simple.
  4. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    Haha, that's funny. There are no "great" m$ programs, except maybe Office for OS X. VPC is ok for day to day pc programs, but forget about anything too processor intensive like GAMES. VPC 6 was actually pretty good- I've tried 7 but it ain't nothing to write home about :rolleyes:
  5. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    I've got virtual PC 7 on a dual 1GHz MDD and it's still pretty damn slow but usable. With Win XP as the OS you have to turn off all the effects etc and then it's OK. Win2K is better out of the box. You do need a lot of RAM though.

As others have said if you only need office compatibility get Office for Mac. It's pricey but the previous v.X version turns up pretty cheap on ebay at the mo....or if you're a student or anyone in your household is then you can get the student edition of Office 2004 for a reasonable price (I don't know about the US version but the UK version of this doesn't require activation and they don't actually require proof you are a student - so it's up to your conscience whether you buy this when you're not actually a student :rolleyes: )
  6. davegoody macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2003
    Reading, Berkshire, England
    Virtual PC good ????????

NO !