Is Vista DRM the future for OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Axegrinder, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Axegrinder macrumors regular

Axegrinder

I've been reading a few articles regarding the DRM stuff built into Vista. I can see why businesses will have no choice but to eventually upgrade to Vista due to their existing investment in MS tools and development etc, but I can't see why a home user would upgrade especially taking into account the restrictive DRM policies that Vista has. I mean, who would want to pay for an OS that restricts what you can and can't watch or on what devices you can stream the content to??

This makes me think about Apple. Not exactly open with their protocols, will they follow Microsoft's lead and put DRM controls inside OS X too?

Would you care? Would you stay with Apple if it came to be?

2. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I've just had a discussion about this over lunch.

So all new media is going to come in a DRM locked down format? Doesn't this cut out half of your market? ie. older DVD/CD players. Or is this what the main need for HD/BluRay is so that DVD players are HDCP? Or is this push intended jst for new online obtained media?

Apple are hardly a good DRM free alternative either (even the hardware has DRM chips) but it's DRM most people can live with (until studios/record companies tell them to ratchet it up a level).

3. MacVault macrumors 65816

I sure hope Apple DOES NOT follow Vista and entrench OS X with DRM. Yes, I would very much care. Would I stay with Apple? Well, what would be my option? Vista? Ha! NOOOOO!

4. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

It might not be Apple's choice, that's what I'm saying.

Your option would clearly be linux of some flavour. Or stick to old media and the way it is delivered.

5. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

I really hope they don't, but even if they put some DRM in, I'm sure they'll find a way to do is transparently so we don't really notice it.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

doesn't iTunes music already, and always has DRM build-in?
    if I would to switch to a DRM free world, LINUX is not bad.

7. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Yep.

I don't use iTunes though, I can't stand the 128kbitness of the whole thing. apple lossless option is coming i hope.

8. honeytoast macrumors regular

9. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Yeah I use that as an example above because that is how Microsoft is downplaying this whole "Vista is riddled with DRM" issue at the moment.

DRM is already in their media player and it's pretty harsh (I have friends who've lost whole music collections because of it). I guess we'll see how it all pans out.

10. honeytoast macrumors regular

sorry i missed your post up there. I currently am using vista on my pc and honestly i haven't noticed any change.

click on my link above to see Microsoft Demo Vista on an iMac.

11. unfaded macrumors 6502

Honestly, Apple's DRM in iTunes and the locking of it to the iPod has already caused me to jump ship to Linux. With the large creative base, if Apple goes heavy into DRM, I can see more people following my lead (for people who are already thinking "the creative software isn't there", I'm a musician, writer, actor, and graphic designer... so just don't :) ).

Then again, Vista's DRM is reported to have already been cracked :)

12. honeytoast macrumors regular

it has been hacked. check my link above

13. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I have extensive experience of Linux over a period of about 12 years. I still wouldn't want it on my laptop for when I DJ (using ableton live with a firewire interface and a usb and midi based controller). There are a lot of issues with audio on Linux that take a lot of time to get going correctly. I'd rather be making/playing music than doing this configuration.

On OSX I have the comfort of unix without all that hassle.

That said if MS and Apple really push DRM to it's logical conclusion (the machine is essentially under their control, like an Xbox for example) then I'd probably re-consider linux for this task.

14. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Cool. I guess we'll see in about a year as we move toward more media shipped online. IPTV, films, music etc. I'm sure MS or someone using their tech won't allow iTunesMS to be the only source of digital media on the net. That's when we'll see how horrible (or workable, I'm open minded) their DRM is.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

another thought. M$'s DRM has always been hacked, so,,,,, lol

16. Gaelic1 macrumors member

Thanks for this! It just made my day!:D