Is waiting for merom stupid?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fearless Leader, Sep 5, 2006.

  1. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2006
    Location:
    Hoosiertown
    #1
    The chips are only 10% faster in most cases, except for the super high end make you poor model, and the 64bitness. 99% of computer users don't even need 64bit right? it just lets you have more memory which in a laptop is pretty stupid imho.

    also wating for this and that will allways keep you waiting for the next big thing.

    anyone whish to comment on my thinking style? correct me if im wrong.

    ps. i just bought a mbp and am slightly worried by what i read in some threads.
     
  2. Chone macrumors 65816

    Chone

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    #2
    I remember when the last of the G3 beat the 9600 by 10% and that was a big deal...

    Well anyways, Core 2 Duo is a big step over Core Duo, however I don't know if the same applies for Merom, Anandtech reported the FSB speeds cripple it horribly compared to Conroe which is blazingly fast.
     
  3. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #3
    Since you've already bought it, just accept it and don't be affected by what others say.
     
  4. Fedge macrumors regular

    Fedge

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    #4
    Well, Core 2 is a new architecture and given the rumors placing it's arrival in only 7 days, my inclination would be to wait.

    Waiting for the next best thing is stupid in the tech world, but this isn't just a clock speed bump. A new architecture on a whole new chip sets you up for the future and future-proofs your machine a bit.

    I would've waited. I waited 6 months for the Mac Pro because I knew that the PowerMac would get intel chips and that was something that was important to me.

    If you find merom's features (64 bit, etc.) compelling or important, then wait.
     
  5. extraextra macrumors 68000

    extraextra

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    Location:
    California
    #5
    I do believe that Leopard optimizes 64 bit, and 32 bit doesn't run natively on it. HOWEVER I could be confusing Leopard with something else. 64-bit just future-proofs your MBP/MB a litttttttttle bit more. There's a big fuss right now because Merom is just around the corner and a lot of people are going back to school.

    P.S. this topic has been discussed to death. :(
     
  6. scorpion151 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    #6
    lol wow... well... when i was getting the cmputer i was currentally on 2 years ago i was told" you dont need 2 gig's of ram, thats way to much" and several other things i later found to be ********. if you think you wont need 64 bit in 2 years... well you keep going with that. unfortunatly for you, you can upgrade your mbp to 64 bit. and really 10% is worth several weeks of waiting.
     
  7. tabaczka macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2006
    #7
    That last post hurt my head...

    Um. If its already ordered. All you can do is hope that the Merom releases within 14 days of your purchase date.

    Otherwise buy apple care and figure out a creative way to break your MBP and they will send you a brand shiney new Merom. MAYBE. :eek:
     
  8. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #8
    It seriously is not hard to creatively break a machine and make it look like it is really dead, at least I did it once with a Mini that has other funky problems to start with and the service centre couldn't seem to fix.

    What I did was incredibly simple too, there are these hot air blowers that you get from electronics shops to desolder components off an integrated circuit board, I simply just started up the thing and found a target spot on the Mini, toasted that bit of the board black and even melted a bit of the bottom.

    1) Take it back to service centre...
    2) Win

    No need to keep shuffling back and forth trying to argue my point too
     
  9. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

    ZoomZoomZoom

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    #9
    I don't think that people are waiting for Merom.

    We're waiting for things like magnetic latches, a new GPU, easily-replaceable hard drives, and the overall stability afforded by a Rev B. And if not any of those, then at least a higher resale price and plain logic that your new MBP is going to immediately drop in value once Rev B comes out, regardless of how many or how few changes Apple does make to the MBP. I doubt that anyone is waiting for Merom alone on the MBPs.
     
  10. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

    thebeephaha

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle WA
    #10
    My MacBook Pro is already faster than all my friends "high-end" desktop PC's so... I'm in no hurry to upgrade, besides Mac's tend to have a longer lifespan. At least as far as OS X and it's software is concerned.
     
  11. jesteraver macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    Montreal, QC
  12. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #12
    This guy speaks the truth.
     
  13. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #13
    Seriously just be happy with what you have. I bought my MBP a bit over a two weeks ago and I couldn't care less about merom. In a few years I will upgrade and by then there will be much better things than merom. So just enjoy your purchase if it does its job then theres no problem right?
     
  14. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

    ZoomZoomZoom

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    #14
    Yes, there is a problem. We're not talking about waiting for an update that might happen in 3 or 4 months. This is something that's coming out in the next two weeks, and unless if someone really needs it in the next two weeks, they could save a good buck by waiting.

    Because of the imminent price drops on existing MBPs as soon as the Merom MBPs are released (this will happen, regardless of how few improvements are made) not waiting is effectively tossing about $100 into a black hole. If I didn't care about Merom, I can just wait two weeks, see if the Rev B MBPs have anything I want - if they don't have a new GPU, I'll just go with a Rev A. And if I go that route, I'll get it at least $100 cheaper that day than if I went ahead with the purchase today.
     
  15. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #15
    I was talking more about myself and that my circumstances (Not going to go into intimate details) dictated that I get it then. If I would have waited I would have neither a MB or MBP now
     
  16. Sobering macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    Location:
    Canada
    #16
    To tell you the truth, I don't really think it matters to wait for Merom. I just bought an iMac like a week ago and I'm kind of bummed out that I didn't wait but still dude, these things perform like a champ and are way better than most PC's on the market. So with or without Merom Macs are still beasts.

    Anyways, if you wait for Merom your just gonna get screwed over again in a few months when they wanna add the Zargonite Xmac Crontar chip in their computers.
     
  17. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #17
    Everyone gets screwed over eventually :cool: its called technology. As I say technology moves way too fast for my wallet.
     
  18. Sobering macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    Location:
    Canada
    #18
    And Viccles you know how bummed out I was I didn't wait for Merom cause' you've posted in alot of my threads, but now I realize that it's no big deal cause even if I did go ahead and sell my current Yonah iMac to go to Merom, I'd be in this EXACT SAME position a few months down the line when they want to add some foreign Crontarinstic Crytalize Wood Fiber chip (damn I'm good, I should be naming all of Intel's chips :p).
     
  19. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2006
    Location:
    Hoosiertown
    #19
    lol, very true though. Screw merom i love my macbook pro. huge upgrade over my macbook nice computer good for most but im a "pro" user, well i use pro apps anyway...
     
  20. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #20
    Yes exactly. You could have waited I could have waited but as I said your computer will not go any slower or stop doing the things you want when the new model comes out. If it does the job you want it to do then theres no use being upset for not waiting. Few years down the track you can get a new spiffy one with the latest technology but your Imac will definitely hold you till then :)
     
  21. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #21
    Buying a MBP now is rather silly IMO, I'd take the MB as a tiding machine until the Santa Rosa ones ship next year even, those are definitely very capable machines.
     
  22. adamyoshida macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2006
    #22
    I'd say wait, then get a discount on a Yonah-based machine.
     
  23. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #23
    I think after all this discussion it still basically comes down to the same golden rule. If you need your computer now buy now. If you can wait then wait. I think its a good way to think and go about your decision making
     
  24. freebooter macrumors 65816

    freebooter

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    Location:
    Daegu, South Korea
    #24
    Interesting, from a psychological p.o.v., that nearly all the "don't wait" people are the ones who have recently purchased a mbp (pro).
     
  25. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2006
    Location:
    Hoosiertown
    #25
    thats cuas we love ours and realized waiting is stupid :)

    Also this is my first backlit keyboard and i love it very much.

    ps. way off topic but its my thread, is anyone else addicted to the forum spy?

    I was also in an akward situation. i bought the macbook a week and a half ago and today was the only day till the return policy ended i could return it.
     

Share This Page