Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
iPhone 4S with iOS 7, on some normal WiFi network, not the fastest, but still. I don't often play music from my iPhone nowadays but recently wanted to play a song and noticed it wasn't on there... strange... I got that song months ago... Then I realized that my iPhone simply hadn't synced since then!

I plug my iPhone in to charge at night when I sleep, when, coincidently, I also put my Mac to sleep. I thought almost everyone does this. Now that means the iPhone is never ready to sync when my Mac is, since it has to be plugged in to charge to sync for some strange reason. Even though my Mac could sync while sleeping as it has "Power Nap". Apparently that feature doesn't really do anything useful.

Anyway, so I've gotten the habit of manually syncing every once in a while when I remind myself by pressing "Sync" in iTunes, and the iPhone can actually sync even when it's not charging, strangely, it just refuses to to so on its own (I makes sure a successful sync never happens). I've noticed that this takes quite long. Like 10-30 minutes. Even if the only thing I've changed is add a single 300 kB photo to my library, or a single MP3 file. I mean damn, that's like 10-20 kilobytes per second. Wow. My network isn't fast, but it's not that slow either.

What is "Transferring purchases"? Why transfer purchases from my iPhone to my Mac when they're all on my iTunes account anyway, should I lose them, and it's not like I can use iPhone apps on my Mac.

Back in the days of the good ol' iPod everything was always synced because you just connected the cable to your computer and you did it because it was the only way. I'd do that now but I keep forgetting, and really, for a few 300 kB photos, using a cable is ridiculous. If syncing could be automatic and fast, or at least if it could get done while my Mac is in Power Nap and take all night if it wants to, I don't mind. I just want regular syncing without having to remember.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.