Is WinSuperSite run by Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GFLPraxis, Dec 8, 2006.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've been wondering for a while. Is it? All I can find searching through that pathetic excuse for a web site is that it's run by Paul Thurrott...

But on Microsoft's retail training they recommend sending customers there.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Paul has a very cozy relationship with Microsoft, but IMHO he is not beholden to or run by Microsoft. I think the whole "train wreck" comments on Vista should have made that clear.

B

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

AFAIK, balamw is correct. PT is not beholden to Microsoft, but for the most part, he's safely considered a "fanboi".

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Paul's a "journalist" who has been covering MS for a long time. Although he's not afraid to point out when something has problems, I don't completely trust his word. Even after calling something Microsoft does a disaster, he always comes back with some sort of spin to make it OK. He is definitely somewhat biased, but is still a good source for detailed information about major MS products.

He also has rather skewed views on some things. One of my biggest problems with him is that he sees major OS X updates (10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4) as nothing more than "service packs" and ridicules the attention they receive as such. He compares them to SP1 for Windows XP or "maybe" SP2. Even before I liked Macs I knew that was inaccurate. They're not as big as XP to Vista, but they're a lot more than MS's service packs which are about 90% security and bug fixes. They're smaller operating system upgrades. However, Paul adamantly sticks to the idea that OSX hasn't really changed since 2001, and seems to think that it's better to reinvent the wheel and turn the world on its head every 5 years or so (a la Microsoft's big upgrades...98 to XP, XP to Vista) with huge changes and incompatibility problems rather than Apple's smaller, incremental, more evolutionary upgrades that help keep people up to date more smoothly and with less overall pain.

The long and short of it is, he'll never stop being a biased Microsoft fan but he tries to cover it up with occasional harsh words. I've been reading his stuff since the mid-90s, and I've always gotten that impression.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Deep Thurott's words are interesting. For the longest time, it seemed that he was paid by Microsoft. Then, prior to Vista, he started making some really amazing comments about Mac OS X, as though he was in love with it. It wasn't enough to pronounce him changed but it didn't signal quite a shift.

I'm sure that he'll always have a soft spot for Microsoft but he seems to see that other development companies have good ideas, too.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Deep Thurott. That is awesome.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've been calling him that for years. He used to post on several Mac sites. I'm sure he didn't appreciate it but considering the tie-in and his early stance, it makes perfect sense.

8. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

I'm not saying is being paid by M$.. however, he is a fanboi.. all the way.

He's very biased IMO, he sometimes throws in a M$ complain to hide it but he is still a fanboi.. and one article in which he dissed Steve Jobs... really got me, how can someone related to the computer industry be discrediting one of the most brilliant minds to work in the business? What? Steve Ballmer monkey on stage is a better creative mind? bah... I'm getting pissed off now :)

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/macosx_leopard_preview.asp

Read this and tell me is he is not biased.. please... :rolleyes:

And do NOT be distracted when he says "he's a visionary" and whatever, it's like saying "your girlfriend is a slut" and after saying "but she cooks very well"...

Ok... I'm just in a bad day, forgive me :)

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hmmm. I'm only familiar with him thru the TwIT "Windows Weekly" podcast. Maybe it's because Leo Laporte's usually guiding the conversation, but I've heard probably more "WTFs" about Vista/Microsoft from Thurrott than I have praise.

10. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Maybe he should be reminded that 10.4 was seen the same way by many in the exact same light he views 10.5, only a minor update and worthless features. But Tiger now has some amazing programs of its own that can't be done on 10.3.

11. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

I can only hope that Leopard kicks these as*holes far away from this planet jeez... I cannot get into this thread without feeling enraged :)

You know what? I've come to a conclusion lately... you know the kind of people who are always bashing Mac's? Let them be.. when I get home I have my 24" iMac waiting for me and I lead a very happy life... they have XP to clean up spyware and get some system halts...

Hooray! :D

12. oober_freak macrumors regular

Wait wasn't he Paul F@ggot?

Where is he now? He ran off from his town's mental hospital, as the security system crashed. So, there were no alarms. The security system's main server ran the most stable OS till date, Windows ME. :p

But, seriously, his reviews are a joke. In the first half of the article, he criticizes Vista, and in the second half he makes up for his criticism. When he wants to criticize OS X, he always mentions that he has x number of Macs at home. Even his reviews of OS X and other Apple software smell of Microsoft fanboyism.