Is wireless worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bob Jovi, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Bob Jovi macrumors regular

I was thinking about getting bluetooth/wireless for my powermac. But I was wondering whether it is worth paying nearly £200 for a mouse, keyboard and airport base, just so I don't have any wires?

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

That's exactly the question that only you can answer! Is it worth it to you to unclutter your desk space?

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I never understand the wireless keyboard thingie? It's not like you are gonna move the keyboard 15' away for your monitor anyway.

4. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Not so fast on that. My brother-in-law has his Mac plugged into his huge wall-mounted LCD TV. He can switch between using it as a Mac or as a TV all while sitting on his couch typing away.

I bought the wireless keyboard and mouse for use with my PowerBook. Love wireless - keeps my desk nice and clean looking - very Apple.

5. Bob Jovi thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i know, it seems like such a load of money! i would like to be able to use a mouse so that I can change episodes etc without having to walk over to the computer. rather get a couple of GB's of RAM!

6. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

That I do understand, but most "wireless" keyboard stays on the desk. I do have an issue with wires though, I have 6 wires plugged into my laptop right now, and that does not include my mouse and keyboard.

7. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Altho' I am in business that is the 3rd & 4th link in the supply of material for magnet wire [we make the Copper rod and wire ;)], I so much love wireless - unclutters the desk/workarea, leaving no worries or hassles about this or that wire getting in the way. For example, the desk that my iMac sits upon has a keyboard drawer - the mighty mouse cord must then droop out of that drawer upon the desktop. :(

8. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

the only thing that gets me with wierless KB & mouse is that the batteries always seemto run out when you are in the middle of something!!!

having said that, i have a BT MM, and a lot of rechargeable batteries (use them for my Wiimotes too) :) only takes 15mins to recharge..

The only time I would get a Iwreless KB is to free up a spare USB port :D The desk I use has a slide drawer for the keyboard, so the cable goes under the table anyway.. so my desk is "wire free" so to speak :p

9. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Thought this was going to be about bras. :)

Anyway, I have the mac keyboard and mouse. It's nice not to have wires on the desk. I wouldn't pay a lot for the privilege, but it didn't cost much as an option when I bought my gear. A mouse wire can get a bit annoying, depending on your space. I've had no problem with my keyboard at all. I love it. My pre-button Bluetooth Apple mouse has just stopped working, so that's a bummer. To be honest, compared to my little wired mouse it's a bit of a brick (because it needs batteries). I assume the buttoned Mighty Mouse is the same weight. You might want to look at alternatives for that if burning Kcals is not an aim.

You might want to think this through again. Ever heard of obesity?

10. Bob Jovi thread starter macrumors regular

ha yeah! i heard it's something to do with mcdonalds?

would be nice to have no wires, but not worth the cash methinks! that's almost a third of the cost of a refurb 2.0ghz macbook!

11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Lesson for today, and trust me on this: It isn't about McDs. It's about lack of exercise and lifestyle. I used to be a skinny, skinny wretch and now I have manboobs. Get up and change the channel yourself. You'll thank me some day. ;)

For a wireless keyboard and mouse?

12. Bob Jovi thread starter macrumors regular

And an airport station. I think it would all be about £200.

I think I'll continue getting up to change episodes and save some cash! cheers for the advice.

13. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

please tell me that you're not thinking of making your powermac connect to the web at wireless speeds? that's silly. you'd still have to wire your cable/dsl modem to the base station, so might as well wire it straight to your power mac.

unless, of course, you use your powermac and monitor like a laptop and move it around all the time ...

14. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I have a wireless mighty mouse and keyboard for my Macbook Pro when i use it with my monitor, at my desk. I think its very worth it, looks cool, saves space and clutter, and doesnt waste a USB port

15. Bob Jovi thread starter macrumors regular

ha if I was to carry my PM around with me I wouldn't need to worry about obesity, they weigh a tonne. Can I get something so that I could have a wireless keyboard and mouse without the airport?

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

17. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

I feel it's worth it. If you ever want to move your Powermac out of the room next to the router and Internet connection you don't have to worry running ethernet up the walls or under doors. I also REALLY enjoy bluetooth mice. Less cables == less clutter == worth the investment. I say go for it. The level of aesthetic it adds is noticeable, and it makes rearranging your your Powermac into different rooms an easier option.