Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
OK my word has been working fine for ages then today, all of a sudden, it did something weird. Everthing I type into it is spelt WRONG (or so it is according to M$) what could cause this:confused: I've repaired permissions and done maintenance scripts but to no avail. Any suggestions?
BTW word 2004

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Did you change the language accidentally?

select all the text, go to Tools >Language and set it to English. Does that help?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I have Word X and not 2004 so I'm not sure how accurate my path will be, but head to the Preferences in the Word menu, click on Spelling & Grammar, click on Dictionaries and then you should encounter a drop down list of countries/languages. Is yours selected? :)

Alternatively, follow katie ta achoo's much more succinct advice. :p

iSaint

macrumors 603
Look at your Word Preferences and see what dictionary is selected. It should be Custom Dictionary. Look also at some of the other options on that preference pane to see if something there is causing the problem.

EDIT: three replies in nine minutes, you should feel special!!! :D

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
Well I managed to transfer my essay to pages adn fix it there. I am using custom dictionary. and no language was selected so I put it on english maybe we'll see if it works. I have class tomorrow morning so I will find out quick.
Thanks for the quick replies.

If all else fails I could do the ol' M$ standby tech procedure - uninstall and reinstall:D (sadly all too true)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
galstaph said:
If all else fails I could do the ol' M$ standby tech procedure - uninstall and reinstall:D (sadly all too true)

Sad, but typical M$ procedure. :rolleyes: :) But it can be just the right solution on occasion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.