Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mulze22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
Up Nort
If you run an emulation of XP on a mac it is incerdibly slow but I was wondering how is the speed of XP on an intel machine. Now that this has happened I am thinking about getting a mac mini.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
XP will run the same speed it would on a similarly speced PC, if you use dual boot.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Kingsly said:
And if virtualization is used (i.e VPC, Q) it will run slightly below full speed, because the comp is still doing the OSX thing.
We have no idea how it will run in VPC since it's not available for Intel Macs yet, and with Q it's considerably slower, but they are making great progress. We'll just have to wait and see what their final release shows.

vtmaestro

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2006
XP super quick!!!

I did the install on my new mac mini that has only 512 Megs of ram. The install of both operating systems were both pretty long due to the limited amount of memory. Xp is running lighting fast!!!! now that everything is installed. I hate to say it but, XP is running faster than OSX. I'm going to put more memory in this weekend, should help out OSX. I still can't believe that dual boot is finally a reality! I purchased my system on March 18 and found out about dual boot later that night. The next day I do the installs and it is like I have TWO new computers!!!!!

vtmaestro

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
vtmaestro said:
I did the install on my new mac mini that has only 512 Megs of ram. The install of both operating systems were both pretty long due to the limited amount of memory. Xp is running lighting fast!!!! now that everything is installed. I hate to say it but, XP is running faster than OSX. I'm going to put more memory in this weekend, should help out OSX. I still can't believe that dual boot is finally a reality! I purchased my system on March 18 and found out about dual boot later that night. The next day I do the installs and it is like I have TWO new computers!!!!!

vtmaestro

sounds bad but the truth is OSX is a ram hog compared to XP. A general rule that can be used is an XP computer will run just as well as an OSX computer with 2 times the amount of ram.
For example 256 on XP is about 512 in OSX. 512 on XP is about a gig on OSX. It a general rule but you get the idea.

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Timepass said:
sounds bad but the truth is OSX is a ram hog compared to XP. A general rule that can be used is an XP computer will run just as well as an OSX computer with 2 times the amount of ram.
For example 256 on XP is about 512 in OSX. 512 on XP is about a gig on OSX. It a general rule but you get the idea.

Yeah and some are saying Vista will be a RAM hog too; more than Mac OS X even. So the rule for that might be 512MB in Mac OS X is 1GB in Vista...:D

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
asencif said:
Yeah and some are saying Vista will be a RAM hog too; more than Mac OS X even. So the rule for that might be 512MB in Mac OS X is 1GB in Vista...:D

true the other case and point is xp is 5 years old. 10.4 is currently less than a year old. But OSX even when it came out was made for newer systems than XP and XP I believe could turn down it eye candy and other little things to be able to handle it on older systems.

The eye candy is a huge part of the killer for ram. But then again I think the standard base line for ram now should be a gig. min being 512.

Man I rememeber when 128 was high to have.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
mulze22 said:
If you run an emulation of XP on a mac it is incerdibly slow but I was wondering how is the speed of XP on an intel machine. Now that this has happened I am thinking about getting a mac mini.

It depends on the hardware.

My wife as a Sony 2.1 Ghz notebook PC and I'd say it was slower then my 1.2Ghz Mac Mni for just simple things like web surfing and iTunes. This is a somewhat fair comparison because both computers use slower notebook type diskss but also unfair because the Sony has only 512MB RAM installed while the Mini has 1GB. The mini was quite slow before the RAM upgrade. I suspect the Sony would run better with more RAM.

ethen

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
obviously emulation will never be the same speed as navite host os, but for light work it would do just fine, i really wonder when vpc will be available for mactel, anyone knows estimated date on vpc intel mac?

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
Kingsly said:
Wel... right now Q doesn't work for me at all... time will tell.

If you are clicking the start button and the PC Doesn't start I am also having that prob!:mad: :(

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
imacintel said:
If you are clicking the start button and the PC Doesn't start I am also having that prob!:mad: :(
Fixed it. I had to d/l the latest unstable build. Its a UB so it works.
Actually, Its quite fast considering its emulation.
ReanimationLP said:
Vista is a f***ing huge *** RAM hog. Trust me. :mad:

Plus the UI is slower than hell.
Why am I not surprised? :)

mike2q

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
I can answer that......

The reason you are reading about people spending all that money on a Mac to install windows is because everyone who has been looking at Macs but couldn’t justify it because they need PC software can now enjoy both. From this point out the Mac is no longer for just Mac fanatics, it can be enjoyed by everyone. I suspect that was the plan all along by Mr. Jobs. I can promise there will be more and more people who have never owned a Mac before stoked that they can run all there old pc games and other software they've been collecting over the years on their new machines. I know I'm excited. The thing I don't quite get is why all the Mac enthusiasts are upset about their computer of choice becoming more popular.

war

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2005
Chicago
many reasons to put XP on there

I am no fan of windows XP but I have some really old games that I just love such as SimCity 2000 and SimTower that I can't run on the mac side of things. However, I can run them on the XP side of it. I don't care about it being windows so much as being able to run some software that I don't have a mac version to use. It's not about having windows. It is about being able to run next to all software available (especially once we get the windows video driver figured out).

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
how is running games on them mainly mmos im thinkin bout getin a mac mini and im curently playing matrix online im just wondering if its the same speed too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.