Is your car iPodified?

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 21, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
    Link: Is your car iPodified?
    Description:: Automobile manufacturers are driving to accelerate sales by upping the ante as far as compelling technology extras are concerned. High on the demands of most car consumers is iPodification...

Posted on
    Approved by Mudbug
  2. macrumors 65816

Dec 2, 2006
    kidnapped by aliens
    Mine has an adapter installed for almost 2 years now. I used an iTrip before that until Renault made the ice links available through their dealer network. I love to have all my music with me when I drive and will never leave without my iPod in it. The iPod on the picture is no longer in use, I bought a new one e few months later.

3. macrumors 6502

Jul 6, 2001
    Miami Beach
    My 2008 BMW has a USB PLUS an Aux in. I can plug in anything from any iPod thru the Apple Connector or a Shuffle via Aux mini-jack or any other brand of MP3, CD, or anything with a headphone jack in it. THe best thing is the ability to see Playlists, Albums, Songs, etc from the iPod and control everything, even fast forward or reverse from my steering wheel... Believe it or not, I even tried inexpensive USB Flash Drives loaded with MP3's and they work fine. That's the cheapest way to get MP3's in your car... As long as u have USB, of course.:)

Attached Files:

4. macrumors 6502a

Feb 15, 2007
    I have a similar setup to the BMW above, except I did all the work myself over 2 years ago. I have an Alpine head unit that connects to the iPod dock connector. The iPod is hidden away in the center console and everything is controlled from the stereo. You can search by artist, song, playlist, etc... and works really well. Now that I also have an iPhone, the 30gb video ipod never leaves the car unless I have new music to transfer onto it.
  5. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Yes. It's pretty ramshackle, but my car is iPodified! Or iPhoneified at least.

Pandora + Google Maps satellite hybrid view + car = great! (Wish I could have both at the same time, but oh well. Probably would be a bit much for the available bandwidth.)
  6. macrumors 601

Jul 4, 2007
    Denver Colorado
    My new 2009 Chevy has the USB iPod connector as well as the AUX jack and Bluetooth. Very cool stuff!
  7. macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2002
    Here's mine. 2005 Passat Wagon with Peripheral brand iPod adapter specific to my car. The cradle is the ProClip version made specifically to fit in the extra space on the dash.

8. macrumors G3

Jan 9, 2008
    Sunny, Southern California
    Yup, my truck is. I have the Pioneer version. Love it. Looking to do the Honda next.
  9. macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2006
    My crappy old car only has a tape deck. So, yes!

10. macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2008
    West Michigan
    My aftermarket stereo that is like 8 years old had an extra input on the back of it for a CD changer so I converted that to a mini 1/8" plug that comes out of my glovebox! Works perfectly and you can't beat the sound quality.
  11. macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I have similar setup with Dension and Proclip
  12. macrumors 68020

Aug 30, 2006
    Recently had an 'ipod stereo' fitted in my Peugeot 306. Cheapest thing Halfords had as I'm rather strapped for cash, but it's well worth it. Cable comes into the glovebox, so the ipod is hidden away and I can control it all from the head unit. Brilliant little thing. :)

13. macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ
    I have yet to get mine ipodified. Just don't have the cash plus don't trust putting new radio in until i get a better security system, someone already tried to steal my stock saturn radio