Is your iPhone going completely "PC-Free" with iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by musika, Sep 30, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

musika

With iOS 5, PC-Free is a great feature. Are you planning on going completely PC-Free, iCloud-only, and ditching iTunes Syncing for good on your iPhone? Or are you staying old-fashioned and still using iTunes sync for your iPhone? :p

pc_free_icon.jpg

2. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It depends on how long it takes to sync.

If it is much slower then I'll probably stick to the "old-fashioned" method.

3. macrumors 6502

I will still use iTunes for podcasts and smart playlists, but will be syncing over wifi mostly and not with the cable.

4. macrumors 6502a

Probably both. I have no problems plugging my phone into my PC. Not 100% sure how the whole iCloud thing works with photos, app data, music and so on so will figure that out when I install ios5 and play with it.

Also need to figure out how it is going to work with 2 phones using the same iTunes account. So really can't say for sure if I'll be PC free if I haven't used it yet. But in any event I highly doubt i'll ever be 100% PC free.

5. macrumors 6502a

Will still iTunes sync (but over wifi.) Gotta keep contacts and calendars updated. I make changes both on my phone and my iMac. Oh, and to pull photos/videos off the phone, too.

6. macrumors member

iTorment

I prefer both, I might go to the Cloud, depends on Verizon honestly, I was grandfathered into unlimited but I hate that they throttle, we shall see.

7. macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Contact and Calendar can get sync wirelessly with MobileMe or the iCloud thats coming up.

With photos/videos I just upload it to Flickr/Facebook/MobileMe Gallery/& YouTube. Then I erase the photo and videos from my iPhone since I have them saved to those websites.

I will be using my iPhone to go completely "PC Free" with iOS 5 because of the Backup Feature it has.

Along with the Backup feature iTunes has. The iPhone iOS 5 software will have one also so I can back up everything on my phone to Apples server and if the phone breaks or I get a new phone I can buy another and sign right back in with my back up that I had without every plugging it to a computer.

This is what I have been waiting for!

8. macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

iTunes is pretty good for transferring data to apps. Don't think you'll be doing that via iCloud.

9. macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I will likely sync the first time to iTunes for speed and then wirelessly thereafter.

One point to make is that wireless syncing with iTunes happens when the device is plugged into a power source. As far as I know, this will occur over wi-fi so your data plan shouldn't be effected.

The rest of the cloud functionality is another story.

10. macrumors 6502a

Vundu

Can you now delete sync'd music off your iphone from the handset now it is meant to be PC free?

11. macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure there is an option to only sync to iCloud over wi-fi so this should not effect your data usage.

12. macrumors regular

I pretty much use my 3GS pc-free now as it is.

13. macrumors 6502a

You're right. Interesting. Other than nor caring to pay $24.99/year for iTunes Match, and therefore I will still need to sync for music, yeah, there's no other need to ever sync.

I shoulda read through the features more closely. :D
    http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

14. macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I sure hope it syncs over WiFi. I got it running 24/7 at my house and office and hate to think it was going to do this over 3G.

I am hoping the whole thing is rather transparent after it is set up. I plug my iPhone 5 into the charger and it sync via WiFi during the night.:)

15. macrumors regular

I live in a student hall, and only one device can access wifi at once. So I will have to stick to wired syncing with iTunes until I go home ;)