Is your iPod scuffed or new looking?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Wano, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

I have had my iPod for about 2 months now and it looks really scuffed even though I keep it protected in a case 80% of the time. I has several surface scratches all over inlcuding a couple of bad ones on the screen. I am just wondering if my care is not good enough.

How bad is your iPod?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

My G1 10GB got scratched to pieces, but i learnt my lesson. My new G3 20GB is never out of it's iSkin Exo 2 case, consequently it's in perfect condition :cool:

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I was looking at a friend's 5-day old iPod, it was impossible to get all the fingerprints off the back.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You just reminded me, my iPod is on the kitchen table...

Oh well, I'll get it in the morning. ;)

5. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

mine looked horriable but i bought this stuff for it. ( i will find the link later) that made it look brand freakin new! it works on ibooks too!here

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Mine is about a year and a half old and it looks pretty good. The back has some scratches from going in/out of the case but it's not bad. The screen doesn't have anything serious. My wife's 2 year old iPod is about the same.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I got my first iPod last week, and on the 2nd day when I put my iPod into my jean pant pocket, walked to the mall, picked up some stuff, and came back home, it had a scratch on the screen. :( I always heard that iPods scratched easily, but many Mac users here at MR always seemed a bit anal about every little minute detail, so I didn't think anything of it when I bought it. I still don't care about scratches on the white part of the iPod, or fingerprints on the back, but the screen cannot be scratched!!

I won't get a case for it though, because I like the way it looks without the case (all iPod cases are fugly!), and I put a PDA screen protector over the iPod screen. :) I don't know if there are any scratches on the white parts of the iPod, but frankly, I don't care.

8. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I thought i was really careful with my 3G 40GB iPod - but very quickly lots of little scratches appeared all over the silver back...
    now it says in its cover.

9. belair macrumors 6502

belair

My ipod is about four months old and its got some small scuffles, nothing big tough. My screen is still intact. I went looking for some protective shells but they really make the ipod look ugly.

The ipod is beautiful due to the materials.
    The ipod gets scraches due to the materials.

hmm what to do?

10. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

mine's about 5 months old and i kept it in a exo3 case with screen protector from april til saturday. IT DID NOT LEAVE!! I PUT IT IN THE CASE BEFORE I REMOVED THE "DO NOT STEAL MUSIC STICKER!!!!!!! and when i finally decided to stop being so anal i took it out and it had 3 scratches on the screen, some dirt on the "menu" button and the silver part was *covered* in fingerprints. i figured wtf so i got in my parents car to go take advantage of the tax free weekend in texas for back to school. when we got to the mall i removed it form my pocket to put it in the glove compartment and i *dropped it onto the asphalt out the open door* and no new scratches whatsoever. moral of the story: youre damned it u do and ur damned if u dont. only the damnedness when u dont doesnt involve a scratched ipod. sorry for the rambling im watching those blue collar comedy people and im kinda distracted...

11. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

my original one I got in feb but it had some hardware problems so I sent it back to apple to get fixed (they replaced) it then in May I got a brand new one (with engraving), and I got a case for it since then and it looks brand new now :)

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My iSkin keeps my ancient 5GB 1stGen iPod pristinely clean.

13. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

i've had a 3G for a year in a neoprene case, the back is horribly scratched and the screen has some scratches too along with fingerprints that never want to go away

14. evil macrumors 6502

i have mine in an iskin. therefore, the plastic and metal are perfect, but the screen is exposed and is all scratched up. i wish i would have bought a protector with a screen cover. oh well.

15. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I've had mine since December, and the back is pretty scuffed up. I too, have dropped it on the asphalt out a car door. Ironically, it was when it came out of a Timbuc2 case faster than I thought it would. This one has to survive College, then I'll get the 6g 'pod and baby it to no end.

Surprisingly, creating my Avatar did no damage to it.

16. Gatorman macrumors regular

Cases can be a problem......

Though I don't have an iPod yet (I've ordered one and it's on the way), I've found that cases on such devices can be more of a problem sometimes, than beneficial. I put my cell phone in a case for a while just after I bought it, and when I took it out one day to change the battery, I noticed that the screen and some of the phone was all scuffed up from the case. The problem with cases is sometimes little particles with dirt can wiggle their way in there and cause more trouble than one might think....or at least that was the case with me! Hopefully, I won't have that problem when I get my iPod.

17. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

I've had mine since July 2003, and it's almost in new condition. I keep in a case all the time. There's no screen protector, though, so there are some small scratches. I polish the back every few months by taking of the case.

For the front and the screen, I have plastic-scratch remover. I found it from an iPod site that reviewed the whole set - Step 1 is a cleaner, Step 2 removes fine scratches, and Step 3 removes heavy scratches. I only have Step 2 (even though each step is about $10 and one bottle has lasted me all this time) which I use to remove those fine scratches that cause a slight haze. There are only about two scratches visible after that unless you try really hard to find others.

18. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

I thought that was a toothbrush at first...

19. wide macrumors 6502a

I stopped using cell phones cases about since my first phone. The only cases I will think of buying are the cool body gloves ones, but unfortunately they are not out yet for my phone (samsung a-670 i think). the phone is in surprisingly good condition given the how old it is (one month :)), but I have dust stuck in the external LCD and i do not know how to get it out. if anyone here has experienced the same problem or has an idea of how to fix it. i'd appreciate if you'd PM me.

as for my iPod mini, it's got several small scratches on the white part, the scroll wheel is a little dirty with a few scratches and a small, small but very annoying piece of sand or gravel caught between the menu button and the select button (that's why is should be touch sensitive). the screen is not scratched at all, to my knowledge, and the blue aluminum seems to be in perfect condition. the only scratches other than the above mentioned are on the apple logo that is painted on the back of the ipod. it only looks scratched when viewed at certain angles, though. the aluminum really is scratch resistant

20. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Same here :D

21. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

I have been using the iSkin protector but it collects so much dirt and makes the iPod bigger. I have also had the problem with dirt getting between the case and the iPod and it has caused the two major deep scratches on my screen.

homerjward and Kingsnapped,
    I also dropped mine out of the car. I forgot to put it in the case and when i got out of the car it was on my lap and fel to the ground and slid about 3feet on the metal side(luckily), so the back is really scratched up.

22. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

heh... mine is quite scuffed. The case adds thickness, and one of the main selling points of the ipod to me was how thin it is, so I just keep it in my pocket, and it gets scuffed. But whatever, all of the parts about it that matter stay fine. I don't really care if I can't shave using the back of my ipod...

23. Gherkin macrumors 6502

I think it's ridiculous to worry about your iPod getting scuffed and scratched. I throw my iPod into my pocket, my backpack, in the compartment I keep it in the car without any worry.

Life is too short to worry about a scratched iPod :p

24. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Weirdly, the iPod's back is in perfect condition, its the front white that has minor scratches and nicks.

I think it's because I keep it in and iSkin eVo, and all the crap thats on my hands gets on the iPod, and under the iSkin rubber, and scratches the heck out of it.

I might try removing it with some Burasso (sp.) sometime..... :(