Is your place dry?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Dec 5, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Well ours is.

Rob bought a steam humidifier two night ago and I have pumped about 3 gallons of water into the air of our place only to get two notches in the humidty factor. :rolleyes:

Realtive humidity is 25% in here. Dry mouth at night, static electricity...

Anyone have any other suggestions on getting it more humid in her, aside from boiling 4 pots of water on the stove?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Maybe some very fashionable indoor plants? ;)

How cold is it there? The air can only hold a certain amount of moisture according to it's temperature, if it's cold then no matter how much water you pump into the air it's going to feel dry. Up the heat and keep pumping water into the humidifier.

I wish I had your problem, it's really humid about at the moment, dashboard says it's only 16C here but that's totally wrong - it must be at least 20C+ and with no air movement it's very hard to get to sleep.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, I have a few ideas but you're not going to like them... :D ;)

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

LOL - typos are good sometimes.

It's in the 30s outside, we keep it at about 65F inside.

5. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Do you have warm air or radiator heating? You could try dishes of water on each heat source - they'll gradually moisten the air with the heat. Not good if you have small kids around though.

Seemed to work for my parents in the past. Although it sounds like your place is REALLY dry.

6. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

It's horribly dry - and I'm just sensitive to it right now because I am sick. I have a couple of pots of water boiling on the stove and the humidifier going. Probably a lost cause. :rolleyes:

7. musiclover137 macrumors regular

you could move to the southeast where we use de-humidifiers...

8. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

Plants, help keep moisture in the air, and help purify the air

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Engage in more steam creating activities. Let your imagination be your guide. :D

Mmmmm....shteamy! :D

10. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Pretty dry here too. Always is. I believe there's a humidifier inline with the heating system (forced hot air) in my building. Usually I just keep chapstick in my pocket and use hand lotion to keep the skin on my knuckles from cracking when I bend them. Ah well, I'm not home that often anyway.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

yes, but i rather enjoy shuffling my socked feet on the carpet and zapping people with the touch of my finger. :D i feel so powerful. :p

we have a humidifier too but the damn thing is such a high maintenance pain in the arse that i don't bother with it.
    i wish i had better ideas, but i can commiserate.

12. mpw Guest

Can't see that being a problem for iGary!

13. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Got the exact opposite problem. Our house is just too damp. Just a week ago we gave up on the small watertraps we've tried and got an electric de-humidifier. That has run more or less around the clock since we got it and has removed ~2 liters (~0.5 gallons) from the air inside a day in oru tiny little house :eek:. Still hasn't gotten down to "Normal" humidity...

That's a lot of water... but then we live in a place where it rains 250 days a year... ;)

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

oh sure it is, they aren't immune from a couple little surprise zaps... :D let them learn about static electricity early :p and the trick with 9volt batteries on the tongue too - man i wish they made a potato chip like that!

16. ghostee macrumors 6502

Ow! Just thinking about that makes me cringe. I don't understand how some people can stand doing that, I judge my batteries by weight. :cool:

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Yeah I had a dorm room last year that had some humidity issues...mainly because of the heat issues it had. It never got below 85 degrees, even when I had both windows open and it was -10 outside. The humidity was a steady 10-15%. I just spent as little time there as possible...though that might not be an option for you. ;)