Is Your Son a Computer Hacker?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by theimacguy, Jul 3, 2004.

1. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

hahahahahah I have seen this before.. Then Uh-o I am a computer Hax0r !!!! :cool:

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I wonder why he didn't think that a daughter could also be a hacker. The same advice should apply to any child.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

that was very funny, but is has to be fake, just has to be.

iJon

4. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

5. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

Sweet. Adding this one to my bookmarks. Now I know how to get started on hacking.

Nice link.

6. macopia macrumors newbie

7. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

http://adequacy.org/public/stories/2002.1.15.415.13121.html

This guy is for real... read his replies to the comments on this article...

So sad. The right wing has strong support in the ignorant.

Edit: welll...maybe it is a joke too...maybe his comments...are...jokes...about...ignorant people........i'm still having a hard time believing this guy

8. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

http://adequacy.org/public/stories/2001.8.31.73838.2611.html

hahahahahaha

omg all these rightwingers are entertaining me with their views.....hahaha

of course they're not a reflection of...most right wingers.....just a reflection of the second largest group of right wingers: the right wing christians (or maybe they are the first largest)

Man, i like northern republicans so much more than southern republicans....large difference between the two

9. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

"Popular hacker software includes "Comet Cursor", "Bonzi Buddy" and "Flash"."

WFT?

"If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm"

WFT?

"There are, unfortunately, many hacking manuals available in bookshops today. A few titles to be on the lookout for are: "Snow Crash" and "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson; "Neuromancer" by William Gibson; "Programming with Perl" by Timothy O'Reilly; "Geeks" by Jon Katz; "The Hacker Crackdown" by Bruce Sterling; "Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland; "Hackers" by Steven Levy; and "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" by Eric S. Raymond."

Programming with Perl is hacking? WFT?

"If your son spends more than thirty minutes each day on the computer, he may be using it to DOS other peoples sites"

WFT? I know what DOSing is, but this is crazy...

"DOSing involves gaining access to the "command prompt" on other people's machines"

WTF? This guy is an idiot...

"Does your son use Quake?"

Quake is a hacking program? WFT?

"Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?"

WFT is Lunix? It's called Linux!

"BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government."

WFT?

"Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet","

Telnet is a hacking program too now is it? Again WFT?

"If your son has undergone a sudden change in his style of dress, you may have a hacker on your hands."

WFT?

This guy is a contender for the You Are A ****ing Moron award. I've got to e-Mail Reginold this...

10. nyprospect macrumors 6502

If your son doesnt have a girlfried and he is 17 he may be a hacker :p

11. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

What a dip****...he must be faking it....Oh no youre on linux...hacker....

What does us Apple Users make us? Über-Hackers?

12. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

Wow, it makes you wonder how many people out there believe this kind of misinformation.

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i showed a friend, and he is an avid slashdot poster and reader. he said this is an old slashdot troll post for the late 90's. it is also listed under internet idiocracy. i for one think its fake and see it in all good humor.

iJon

14. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

the guy who wrote that is as conformed as they come. the kind of guy george bush likes..

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

This is the second or third time I've seen something like that. I almost wonder if it's been copied to different websites for exposure.

You never know how people get their information, though. :D

16. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

EDIT: i am a f***ing idiot....... didn't read the rest of the thing and thought it was *for* the racists......heh...it's for everybody! not just the racists

http://adequacy.org/special/mission.html

Adequacy Mission Statement
    There are a number of people who have opinions that don't quite fit the norm. Because of this, they aren't welcome in many places. This is where they exercise their right to speak, where the dreams of tomorrow take flight today.

This site is aimed at middle class white male professionals - the sort of people who have been sadly sidelined by today's victim culture, and the domination of homosexuals, geeks, amputees, racial minorities and Canadians, who have all risen up with their discrimination laws and 'equality' to sadly control the media agenda.

These people are not welcome here. This is where we make a stand. This is where we fight back.

This site is also squarely aimed at the marginalised of society -- homosexuals, geeks, amputees, racial minorities and Canadians, who remain in a state of oppression, kept down by the dominant white male patriarchy and by insufficiently rigorous 'discrimination' laws and the corporate media.

These people are welcome here. This is where we make a stand. This is where we fight back.

Controversial opinions, passionately held. We Are Adequacy.org.

17. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

canada? what did canada or canadians ever do to anyone?

some people are just so stupid that it hurts my head just thinking about it.

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

In the next paragraph, they claim that the site is *for* these people... it's a big contradiction. reread it, it's a joke of some sort. i think the whole site is. one of those irony-built-on-irony things that no one really understands anymore...

and wdlove, the point here is not that a teenage girl could be just as guilty of these things; it's that none of the things listed are really signs of being a "hacker"! They're all very normal things teenagers might do. The article is a joke, meant to inflame people against such stupid tactics. I believe they're parodying the anti-drug ads from the 80s and 90s, with all the warning signs of drug use-- most of them normal developmental stages for a teen to go through. it's telling people to stop being so damn alarmist at everything.

paul

19. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

thank god for paul, at least someone aside from myself got it.

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Okay, it has to be a joke, because in the copyright notice, there's this:
    hmmm, I never thought the color silver could be trademarked ;)

21. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

wdlove, COME ON!!! You couldn't have taken it seriously! It's patently a joke, but sadly, I can see many people falling for it.

There are tons of people who could read something like this and totally buy it...You know, the kind who buy Dells after one visit to Wal-Mart (they call it 'the Wal-Mart') and who understand computers as Microsoft Word + 'the internet.'

We all know these people...

My fear is that while most of us can take it either for stupidity or for some well-designed satire, there are thousands of people who will run across this and start harassing their poor, computer-literate children.

22. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

after reading the first 3 lines or so I saw into a mindset I do not like so I stopped reading. I figured it was just more paranoid/ignorant american parent crap.

23. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

yeah, I thought that the joke was obvious, but I can see that there are some people out there (no one with enough expertise to actually join an online forum, so nobody at MacRumors) who would consider it serious advice to be seriously considered.

24. Makosuke macrumors 603

Most of the stuff on that site tries to tread the line between abusrdist parody and almost-believable parody, but isn't really that interesting. That particular article, though, is really funny to me--I like the way it starts out sounding annoying, but almost believable, then digs deeper and deeper into absurdity and stupidity as it goes.

The nationalist anti-AMD comments were particularly funny, and you've gotta love the pro-AOL plug.

For those wondering, Comet Cursor is one of those annoying "fancy pointer" applications, and Bonzi Buddy is one of those "shopper's helper" apps that is basically targeted advertising spyware. If you don't know what Flash is, or think that anybody competent enough to post an article on a website is so stupid he thinks it's a hacker tool, then a bit of a reality check is probably in order (though I admit some people who manage to get things onto the web somehow are astoundingly computer-illiterate).

I'm with paulwhannel in general in agreeing that those irony-on-parody-on-irony sites get confusing and annoying really quickly, and only really serve to satisfy the people who write them when they watch stupid people either agree or overreact to their stuff.