Is Zelda still coming for the cube?

Discussion in 'Games' started by coffey7, Oct 24, 2006.

1. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I have read that Zelda will not be coming to the gamecube. Is this true? I will try to find the link. Cnet.com had one story.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It all started with the announcement that, in Japan, the GameCube version would only be sold online. The speculation then came that the same could happen outside of Japan, and when several retailers' Gamecube preorder pages mysteriously went down, the speculation became that the GCN version would not see the light of day. But if you read down to the bottom, Nintendo appears to continue to deny this rumor.

3. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

The last time I looked on Nintendo's website (maybe a week ago) Zelda TP was going to be released on both the Wii and Cube, but not until December on the Cube....if I remember correctly.

4. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

thought it was earlier on the cube...

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Dec 8th on the cube. I got a update about it about a week ago with dvd boxoffice (it's been on pre-order since march 04 :rolleyes: )

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm wondering if the Wii version will let you also play with a GCN controller (as it has four GCN ports).

Personally I am more interested in this as a Wii title, rather then GameCube. I know it's likely not very different, but I'd like a glimpse at the future of Zelda games, and want to see how it all worked out "tacked on" to this game.

Someone should have a poll, which platform do you want Zelda:TP for and why? The only reason I can think someone would prefer the cube version is if they don't plan on getting a Wii anytime soon, which does seem like a viable reason... personally, I'd just wait. ;)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wii Zelda is going to use the Wiimote, right? I think the Wiimote sounds fun enough to make me consider getting one.... :)

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

The last I heard, playing Wii Zelda with a GC cotroller is a no-go. I'll see if I can find where I read it.

EDIT: Link

Of course, this is from back in August when the Wii and GC versions were coming out on the same day. But I have a gut feeling that Nintendo wouldn't have nixed it from the game only to add it back. Things just don't seem to work that way in the software field.

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It's available for pre-order on amazon UK. They also have a release date of November 24th

10. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

If Zelda TP does not come out on the GameCube, Nintendo can kiss me good bye as a customer forever; I have had this game preordered for over a year and a quarter now, and I have endured many frustrating delays because of the game's "development." I have a feeling that Nintendo has had this all planned for quite some time. It makes me mad that companies like Nintendo and Microsoft get away with this sort of manipulation--alas people are weak and want the game or product enough to overlook the fact that they are being raped up the ass.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah like the customer got raped by the countless ocarina of time delays on the n64... oh wait ...

12. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

It better be coming out. I preordered it for "The Cube".

13. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

The difference is that Ocarina wasn't planned to come out on any other consoles. Zelda TP is being used to hype the next Nintendo console at the expense of current Cube owners; Cube owners now have to wait yet an extra month for the game to first be released on the Wii...probably a plan for Nintendo to squeeze as many Cube owners into just buying the Wii. :)

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

no probably about it. Nintendo needed 1 big name IP first party title for the Wii and in typical nintendo style they didnt have anything ready - so solution, just hijack the cube title that's taken forever to develop, add wii remote features & widescreen, charge $10 more and he presto you have the 1 killer wii launch title.

15. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm definitely not someone that would fault ANY development studio for delaying a game. Delays are positive, rushing to market is bad. (and by "rushing" I simply mean releasing a title before it is finished and properly debugged).

As for Zelda:TP, I look at it a little different. The GameCube version wasn't going to get released until around the time of the Wii launch. They had a few choices, try to release the game early (bad, read above), to push the game onto the new platform exclusively, or to do a multi-platform release on Cube/Wii.

In the end if they DO release the GameCube version it is a very bad marketing move, because they are releasing a "killer app" for their old hardware right when they are trying to launch new hardware, effectively competing with themselves.

That would be like Microsoft trying to release a new Xbox system in the same month as Halo 3 is getting release, which would be pretty much stupid.

From a practical business standpoint they should have dropped the cube version a long time ago and worked on TP as an exclusive Wii title. If they don't do that then consider it fan service on their part.

16. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

My understanding is that the Wii version is, more-or-less a port of the Cube version with the new controller scheme. Essentially every Wii owner's nightmare reality.

The graphics between the two are identical.

Anyone have better information? I don't keep my ear to the ground on Nintendo information so this could be all out of date or incorrect by now.

17. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I've pre-ordered the Wii version for the widescreen graphics more than for the Wii Remote support.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not identical graphically, but the differences are minor (TP has only been slightly improved).

From what I hear, everyone agrees that the bow-and-arrow aiming is vastly superior, but the jury is still out on the sword-swinging.

19. LukeW macrumors member

Would have been nice if they had the included an option to switch between controller schemes on the Wii version. I mean, I know Nintendo want to encourage people to use the Wiimote, but what happens if you find you just cant get along with the new system? Specially considering the 'cube version uses the original control setup, and the Wii uses the gamecube pads, I honestly dont see why Nintendo couldnt have included the option, when infact it was purposely removed. Feels a bit pointless really :confused: