Isabele: how is everybody holding up after being hit by the storm

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bcsimac, Sep 19, 2003.

1. bcsimac macrumors 6502

Isabele was headline news this week. I am wondering how people who stayed are doing and so forth.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm at school at the university of Delaware. On Wednesday, the university cancelled classes for Thursday and Friday. All sorts of extra food, and sandbags, etc were purchased. It started raining around 7:00 Thursday night and it was all over by 12:00 later that night. Friday's here, classes are still cancelled and it's sunny as hell. The wind is fairly strong, but not dangerous or anything.

3. brogers macrumors regular

Rain and winds started in the morning here in Greensboro, NC. Strongest winds hit from 3:00 to 6:00pm Thursday. Few donwned trees here and there, but enough power outages to close the public schools today. Other than that, we are OK and this day is wonderful.

br

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Doin' great out here in sunny California! Rode it out with no problems.:D

5. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

i was out cutting the grass about a couple of hour ago. The wind picked up really fast. My guess is that the wind was about 30-40 mph winds. It got really dark too, when the winds picked up. I thought that i was going to get drenched, but it just drizzled.

Toledo, Ohio.

6. Waluigi macrumors 6502

My friend at UNC said she is fine, and that it was a bit scarry, but not too bad. They had a parade today, so it looks like its all over there.

--Waluigi

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Lots of trees down here in eastern-central PA. My drive to work yesterday looked like the path of a tornado. Power will be out 'til next week some places.

My car was/is confetti'ed with leaf parts but it provides a good excuse to get out and wash/wax it today. The road right outside my townhouse is still a blanket of green leaves, with one lane cleared off where the traffic drove over it yesterday.

8. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Im just fine in Cinci, no rain or anything. I'm just glad I have a few years to go until I go to Annapolis for school...:)

9. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Still haven't heard from Mr. A Yet though... For someone who normally has 20 posts a day, his 5 day absence is extreme...

10. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

heh UMD here.

Did alrite -- No school on thursday or friday (obviously)

Friday was more of a cleanup, roads are messed up, no-power on route 1 or in the suite/apartment buildings kind of day.

All in all, alot less than i had expected.

Though Wednesday night was ridiculous (lost power continously, with the winds shaking the trees branches 7-15 feet in range lol).

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Alexandria is out of power... so Mr. A is probably without internet access.

I'm in NC... we had flickering lights... but no major outages for me.

arn

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Storm?

What Storm?

;)

I wasn't affected at all NYC

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Here in Boston we got little wind and rain. Recorded .20"! There was actually more wind on Thursday before Isabel reached us.

I'm glad to hear that you are OK arn! ;)

My brother-in-law that lives in Laurel, MD is like arn no damage or loss of power.

I just hope that Mr. Anderson is OK! Anxious to hear from him again!

15. bcsimac thread starter macrumors 6502

I am glad to hear that most everybody is ok. I hope Mr. A is ok too. There was 17 deaths so it was dangerous.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, well, I missed it all - went on vacation to Cape Cod for the week (left on Tuesday) and got back yesterday....and we didn't lose power, which is quite amazing.

Totally flooded Old Town a couple blocks from where I live, though...

I wish I had been there to see it and take pics - but I got a bunch of nice ones on the Cape, so I'm not unhappy.

Here's a pic I found online - the flood crested another 18" over this level - tons of stores and restaurants, including the new Starbucks got hit hard.

D

Attached Files:

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm happy to hear that you didn't receive any damage from Isabel Mr. Anderson. Missed you the past week!

Where abouts on Cape Cod did you vacation Mr. Anderson? The Mid Cape is about a 90 minute drive from my house!

18. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

A great many scattered bits of the Baltimore area are still without power, my street among them. :p But no house damage, no basement leakage, so if all I've lost is the food in the fridge, I'm doing better than the poor shmoe whose house is floating in the Atlantic off NC.

...though, being without power for this many days is aggravating. 12 candles and an oil lamp isn't bright enough to read by, really, and there's not much else to do when there's no TV, no internet, and no lights.

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'll post pics when I get around to it - but we spent time in Wellfleet, Truro and P-Town, the far end of cape....its was quite fun, and it only took us 9+ hours to get home.....

D