iSight 1.0.2 Firmware Update

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Feb 19, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple has posted the rumored iSight Firmware Update (1.0.2) to your Software Update:

2. macrumors regular

Better colour

Uneventfully installed. The colour balance seemed better. My room is no longer as blue as before. Nothing obvious otherwise.

3. macrumors 603

It'll be interesting to see if this resolves some of the iSight/other Firewire device conflicts that people have been having so much trouble with.

Any brave souls willing to give it a crack and take one for the team?

4. macrumors regular

I dont understand how iSight has firmware. Is it just a patch for iChat, or is it an updated driver?

5. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I was going to ask how SW would know if I had an iSight or not. It doesn't-it showed up even though I do not have an iSight. What the heck, I installed it anyway. :)

6. macrumors newbie

White balance is indeed better...

...but iSight still doesn't play well with iMovie 4.

7. macrumors regular

Here is a before and after shot. After is definitely less blue. The color seems better overall.

Attached Files:

8. macrumors member

Ran the update and it may be a placebo effect, but the color does seem better. Other than that nothing major. I'll hook up with a buddy tomorrow and see if anything else has improved.

9. macrumors 6502

Nice work on the before and after examples.

I also did a before and after test between two iSights and computes at my office, the white balance is much better.

10. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Cool and it doesnt mess with UT 2004 Demo anymore...

11. macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

So... is anybody else in the camp that is hoping for the iSight to come down $50 in price sometime in the next year or so? I would definitely buy this thing for $99, but I don't see any justification in the $149 price :(

I don't know anyone who has bought one of these yet, even though they think that the iSights are really cool, and even more so with iChat AV. I personally would use it when I do web videos, because I don't need the best of quality... But, until then, I'll have to settle for my Sony DV cam.

12. macrumors regular

I guess people are giving this thread a negative rating because Apple didn't include a FREE iSight with the software update? :rolleyes:

13. macrumors member

Geerlingguy~

I've had an iSight at work for a month now to do some minor video conferencing. It truly is amazing and easy. I'm going to buy one for home as soon as I can get my buddy to get one as well. I'm also thinking about buying my parents one.

Think of it as a free long-distance, video-phone. ;)

IMHO, not bad for $150.

14. macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I'm scared to install this, especially since the last time I updated my iPod, I couldn't downgrade it when it had bugs... and there is no previous firmware available to downgrade for the isight.

Anyone ever read the few websites ranting that the iSight is racist, and that its auto-white balancing was optimized for caucasians? I think its kind of silly actually.

Edit - Woah! It works so much better in low light now!

15. macrumors regular

Resistance is futile!

Yes, I also resisted buying an iSight for a long time until last week, when I voice chatted with my family at home from my hotel room in CA. Given the internernational long distance and the duration, it easily paid for the $9.95 in-room hotel broadband access. The family was so impressed that I plonked down my CC at the local AppleStore the next day. The strong AUD made the purchase that much less painful too.

16. macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

Yeah, but, besides the coolness factor, why pay $50-$100 more than those cameras from the other companies? I don't see *that much* difference in quality, and the iChats only have the advantage when it comes to direct iMovie import (which I hear has problems).

17. macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

Re: Resistance is futile!

Sometimes I wish the US dollar fluctuated to a greater degree, just for excitement (and for cheaper products).

But, then I realize that with the good times come the bad... :(

18. macrumors regular

IIDC compliance

So the big remaining question is what's "improved IIDC compliance"? What does it get for us end users? PC compatibility? Other 3rd party IM client compliance? Anyone tried yet?

19. macrumors member

From the installer:

About iSight Updater
    The purpose of the iSight Updater application is to install new software onto your camera.

• Install – The install command installs new software onto the iSight.

20. macrumors regular

I like the color balance more, makes me wonder how i thought the older firmware was top-notch... oooh apple has its ways. lol

21. Sol
    macrumors 68000

Sol

Real-time QuickTime effects

How is the iSight image distorted if a non-caucasian appears in it? Is there any distortion then it should be a user-choice in the Firmware application.

I would like to see iChat allow for real-time QuickTime effects. Imagine if the user could change the colour, supper-impose text and graphics and dissolve to other video sources. If enough jaws hit the floor then video like that would sell a lot of Macs.

22. macrumors 6502a

Re: IIDC compliance

Found on the 1394ta.org web site...

Topic: IIDC v1.3 Spec

..edit..

Hmmm now that I've re-read that and think about it...

Why would Apple bother to "improved IIDC compliance" in the first place?

The iSight already works on Mac hardware and OS X right? So what would have been the reason/need to 'improve IIDC compliance'?

The right side of my brain says this means nothing
    The left side asks... Could a PC version of AV-iChat be in the works? :D

Dave

23. macrumors regular

Compatibility

Thanks Dave. I did a quick search of Google but didn't come up with something as specific.

Sounds like that iSight may achieve greater interoperability with those PC IM clients. If confirmed, I'll try to set up my wife's work PC with something compatible. :)

24. macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Re: Re: IIDC compliance

Considering that this fixes the conflict with Unreal Tournament 2004, the standards compliance was worth it. I read somewhere that the iSight didn't reply as expected to certain requests, and the audio stream was non-standard.

25. macrumors 6502a

Re: Compatibility

I just added to my post...

If I'm reading that IIDC stuff right...

I *think* IIDC 'deals with' how camera hardware connects (via 1394) to a device and/or how the OS of said device 'looks for' and/or 'speaks with' the 1394 camera.

If I'm right then I'm just not sure why Apple would bother adding/improving IIDC support when the iSight already works with the firewire in Apple's computers as well as OS that runs on the computers that the iSight is intended / designed to connect to.

Hmmm could be a lot of things I guess... Maybe it was the improving of IIDC that in turn improved the color or performance of the iSight...

But I'm always a sucker for a good juicy 'what if'

Dave