iSight 2

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by princealfie, Mar 20, 2007.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I strongly predict that with the advent of Leopard that Apple will release a new FW cam to coincide with new features. I suspect higher resolution in a similar form factor.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, so this is a persistent rumor... but considering that of all the Mac users out there getting new Macs, only MP and Mini users will not have webcams, and considering Apple's move of putting in native USB support in 10.4.9, I see the likelihood of Apple releasing a new webcam, particularly a new FW one, as lower and lower over time....

3. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I can see them making a new iSight, but I doubt it will be Firewire. With laptop isights being USB and the 4.9 update which allows UVC webcams to be used in ichat....all the signs point to a USB device.

4. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Cool but does 10.4.9 allow use of third-party USB cams with iChat?

5. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

i think it will be wireless , maybe a isecruitycam ;)

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I don't know if I think they're going to release a new stand-alone iSight. I'm more attune to the "Move-the-iSights-into-the-ACD-bezel" rumor, personally.

7. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Yes i agree with this..... They need something to push their ACD sales. I would not even consider buying the current ACD, but if it had an iSight, i'd be right in their.

I'm very annoyed that i bought a pro end machine (Macpro) and i cant use iChat with my mates who are all on iMacs!

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Not necessarily every single one, but yes.

9. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular

TheManOfSilver

Edited since I clearly misread your post.

I agree ... it certainly seems that for all of its prior advancement of Firewire, Apple has made a slow and steady transition to USB for its peripherals (except for hard drives and external burners). A Bluetooth 2.1 high-res iSight would be pretty cool though ...

10. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

A bluetooth Cam is possible, not probable, just possible.
    I quite like the idea of an Apple security cam, with an IP address Interface and an Airport Interface. But I think that Apple will think of something...

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does BT2 / EDR have enough bandwidth that it could do VGA or better video at the current framerate without stifling other bluetooth devices that are being operated at the same time? If there's anything near a bandwidth choke, I would be afraid of it, for instance, making the keyboard, mouse, headset, etc, sticky. That wouldn't be acceptable.

The other issue, though, is how long a cam can last on batteries...

12. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Yah, I don't think that'll happen any time in the near future. I just don't see the need for a bluetooth cam, it's not like wires are a major problem with cams.

I really see built in ACD cams as apple's next step, but who knows?

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I could see a new USB iSight with a built-in IR sensor so you could put it on top of your ACD and you would have an IR receiver and camera for a Mac Pro. I think that would be better than building it into the ACD because it would be higher quality and the ACDs would still be cheaper. In addition there are many places who buy Apple monitors who wouldn't want camera's built in to every display.