iSight and iBook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by chameeeleon, Feb 15, 2004.

1. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2004
    I recall that the iSight is powered via the FireWire 800 port, but on the G4 iBooks they only have a 400 Firewire port, which I don't believe provides power. So my question is - does the iSight work with the iBook? An additional question is I remember something about extra USB ports on the Mac keyboard. Are these also on the wireless keyboard, and what are they (ie: 2 USB, 1 firewire) Thanks!
  2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Re: iSight and iBook?

Actually, the iSight is powered by the firewire 400 port which on macs, does provide power. So to make a long answer short, yes, it will work with the G4 ibook.

Both the apple keyboard and the wireless keyboard have 2 USB ports on the back.... no firewire.

Edit: ok not sure if the wireless keyboard has any USB ports, but the wired one does have two..
  3. telecomm macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    Nope, there aren't any ports on the apple wireless keyboard (I'm typing on one right now).
  4. chameeeleon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2004
    Ok, thanks! Although disappointing about the wireless keyboard!
  5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

Wireless firewire ports? Firewire ports on a wireless keyboard? Kinda defeats the purpose...
  6. kidA macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2002
    yeah, ports of any sort on a wireless keyboard wouldn't really make any sense. for one thing, they draw power no matter what. but the main reason ports don't make sense on a wireless keyboard is that the keyboard is wireless! ports=wires! think about it for a minute.