iSight and iChat (how to use?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by diehldun, Nov 24, 2003.

1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

After seeing many advertisements regarding the iSight, I am now quite interested, as I frequently talk to friends and family thousands of miles away.

do you need two iSight's (or cameras) for this to work? If so (obviously), then it means that for it to function, you really should get 2, not 1 iSight's if you want to video-conference between family, am I right? if that's the case, then that's not a very good deal, and i will not get it.

still hoping 10% off November 28th...

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Okay, you don't have to use the iSight, any Firewire digital camcorder or webcam will do. Four steps to start using the iSight: 1.) open box 2.) mount 3.) plug in 4.) there is no step 4.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes, to videochat there needs to be a video camera on both ends of the connection. If you buy an iSight and you don't know anybody else who has an iSight (or other firewire camcorder) on a Mac, you have four choices:

(a) Buy another camera for a family member or friend, or talk them into buying it themselves.

(b) Find strangers with similar interests to videochat with. There are web sites that help with the matching process.

(c) Settle for audiochat, which iChat and the iSight also support. The person on the other side needs a microphone.

(d) Give up and return your iSight.

4. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

but...

how about the person that you want to video-conference with? they must have the webcam, right?

is it seriously that simple? the reason why i want to get the iSight along with my PowerBook is because I want to get it all in one shot, and if there is 10% off sale, i might as well get one.

(actually two, because the person i want to video-conference doesn't have a webcam...)

5. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

also remember, you can do one way video chats. you can send them a feed, they can see you and can talk balk, but since they have no camera you obviously cant see them.

iJon

7. alphaone macrumors 6502

So wait...Can you or can't you do one way video chats?:confused:

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

9. erik1975 macrumors member

Welllllll . . . Not to say iJon is wrong. I have Panther and have tried to setup a one-way video chat with no success. I was only able to initial a voice call to my friend when I did not have my camera connected.

Maybe I was missing a preference or menu item selection?

10. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

IIRC you will need a cable/dsl conection to use video chat, otherwise it's audio or text only.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.;)

11. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Get into iSight

erik1975,

Since any Mac user having a camcorder with a FireWire port (poor PC :() can use iChatAV, or can just get an inexpensive iSight, video conferencing is becoming increasingly more popular and universal ;).

I am still excited about my first Mac to Mac iChatAV conference on Nov 24th between London UK and Phoenix AZ USA, using an iSight in Phx and a SONY Camcorder in the UK.
    ;)Beautiful, clear and fun.
    Hours, long-distance, Audio & Video conferencing, FREE!
    Goodbye long-distance telephone calls, except to those with only a PC :(

WebCam incorporated into Apple's new Cinema Displays
    quote:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
    And how is a little tiny camera going to provide the same image quality?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Although of less than iSight quality, Apple could very easily and at a reasonable cost incorporate the Audio & Video of a WebCam into the frame of Apple's new Cinema Displays.

PowerBooks and iBooks already have a Microphone, what would it take to imbed a tiny WebCam into the frame of an LCD display? Very little. To increase quality, ADD an iSight.

Want better quality still, hook up a DV CamCorder with external shotgun mic via FireWire of whatever quality you want, on up to broadcast quality. :p

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

good that you are saying im not wrong ;). anyways, ichat can be weird sometimes and is probably a network problem but it does work just fine. sometimes if im on my powerbook and i dont have my isight up my friend will send me his feed, and i can see his dorm room and stuff, and i can audio chat back or simply type, but it does work.

iJon