Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4leaf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
hey there.:(

i recently moved to new zealand with my imac. i am on a university network which allows other pc users to get on to skype and use their webcams. i seem to be the only user of a mc for mile around so i have no one to ask this to:

i have the following programs that will not work no matter what i do :

msn messenger
and my isight will not connect to any of my buddys.

skype was turning on but wouldnt log me in, now it doesnt do either and is telling me there is something wrong with my https authentication (even though i have all passwords and proxies correct.

msn messenger/adium just wont sign in at all

and my ichat logs into aim and my camera works but any time i try to conenct via voice or video with my friend who also has a mac and isight it says that i did not respond.

any ideas???i really need help here!

ps i have gotten all of these to work before when i lived in ireland

thanks

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
the iSight doesnt work with msn or skype, or anything except 'iChat'.

Skype are working on video for mac at the moment as far as I know.. I'm sure looking forward to that!

All your other problems sound like connection issues to me. I suggest contacting the IT dept at the uni to ensure you have the right proxy settings, etc, etc.

4leaf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
sorry i obv phrased that wrong
im talking about running all these seperatly
i know ichat runs isight
ive asked the uni no one knows anything about macs

synergyo1

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2005
Here is a temporary solution if you have an Intel Mac:

1) Install Windows XP via Bootcamp
2) Buy a webcam
3) Use webcam with Windows Skype and MSN for video chat

It isn't the most elegant way to do videochat, but it works.

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2006
UK
I'm clutching at straws here..... could your machine have an irish IP address or something like that which is causing problems?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
There is a buggy beta of Skype (not the one that wiped out everyone's system, but rather an internal beta). Almost here.

Doesn't aMSN support the iSight? I think so.

Hoping that Adium will add the iSight, or that iChat will actually become useful in Leopard.

KeithAndersonMD

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2006
I have a G5 IMAC. I just bought Isight. My sister in law is moving to China for 2 years. We hoped to communicate via Skype. Do I understad this thread properly to mean that this is imposible. She uses a windows computer. Does anyone know a way that we can video conference?

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Google aMSN or Mercury Messenger for the Mac. They support webcam and I assume iSight. Or use AIM with iChat if you do wanna webcam with your AIM buddies.

cmy

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2006
Proxy difficulties

I'm pretty sure the topic at hand has nothing to do with the fact that isight isn't compatible with MSN his question is that he is behind a proxy and can't get his mac to connect to skype any more along with ichat or msn. I downloaded authoxy and it still wont work for me either. Any suggestion on how to get these programs to work while stuck behind a proxy?

gog

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
Jobs' kitchen cupboard.
Annoying firewalls

Hello
I suspect the iChat problem relates to a firewall.
If you run the connection doctor while you try to connect (iChat --> Video --> Connection Doctor) you will see what type of error you are getting.
I suspect it will be an error -8 that you find.
If so, it maybe relates to the firewalls set up on your network. iChat needs certain 'ports' to be open, and they probably aren't.
For more info about what ports you need, search the apple support forums for error -8 in ichat or iChat ports, then drop a line to the system administrator asking what they can do.
If you then want to test if your side is working (or test with connection doctor), entering this AIM contact into ichat may be useful: appleu3test01.
Maybe the other programs -skype,msn- also have their necessary ports closed for the mac on your firewall, but they've opened them for the PCs?
I'm no expert, but thats a possible lead for you.

Magnus Reftel

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
4leaf said:
any ideas???i really need help here!
Have you tried the new Yahoo messenger? It's supposed to support webcam chats between Mac and PCs now (though I haven't tried it myself yet)

calventeng

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010
Isight with Skype

Greetings~ I am still having problems with my Skype after done whatever mentioned in all the posts......

The funny thing is, the video page @ the preference is working fine~ but then the light green indicator just switched off again whenever I closed the preference....

Usually the green light indicator is on whenever I switch on my notebook but it just not on for some reasons all of sudden since last week, that's where the problem began...

Is there anyone encounter the same problem before or perhaps is there anyone can tell me what can I do? I do appreciate it alot and thanks!!!

jyugo

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
External/built-in iSight

I don't know if you're using an external or built in isight but....I have both and what i do is go into the preferences of Skype and click on the video tab. under the viewing window you'll see a drop down menu. this will display all webcams currently connected to the pc. this is where you can choose which to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.