isight camera on mb or mbp hackable??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ethan101, Dec 28, 2006.

1. ethan101 macrumors member

i was just wondering if it is possible for some one to see me through my mbp isight camera with out me knowing?

any thoughts on this?

Ethan

2. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

The most recent update through Software Update was to prevent QuickTime from being able to send your iSight camera images over the internet without your consent. Could it happen? Yes. Could your hair mysteriously fall out tonight? Yes.

In other words, it could happen, but is unlikely as long as you keep your computer up to date.

3. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

the way that the camera is wired, it is impossible for the camera to be on without the green indicator light also being on.

So even if someone could manage to hack into your isight (which has never been done), you would know about it.

4. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

It is possible!

check out this forum msg: Cool Stolen MacBook Pro Recovery Story

http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/recovery.html

they got pix of the thief without the thief knowing as soon as he connected to the internet, so that leads me to believe someone else could do the same thing!

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I wouldn't be surprised if the green camera light came on for just as long as it took to snap a picture (1 second or less) and the thief never noticed. :cool:

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sure, but that's because the owner installed Undercover on the machine. He obviously needed administrator access to the machine in order to install it. All sorts of information can be transmitted from your computer to somewhere else without your knowledge if someone else is an administrator on your machine.

7. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

So, how hard REALLY? is it for law enforcement or hackers to get info like that?
    of course nobody has ever had a compromised computer. I guess the one to ask would be kevin mitnik.