iSight Compatible with older Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aramil2003, Aug 11, 2005.

1. aramil2003 macrumors newbie

Hi

---

My girlfriends moving out for uni so I'm giving her my old Mac G4 (Dual G4 450MHz processors) for her to do her work on.

I was thinking of buying a pair of iSight webcams to stay in touch, mine for my iMac, hers for the G4.

However, I was looking at the minimum requirements spec for the iSight and it states a "Macintosh computer with a 600MHz or faster PowerPC G3 or any PowerPC G4 or G5 processor" is needed. Realistically, does anybody think the iSight will not work with the G4? Has anybody has a similar expericence?

If it's not compatible, does anyone know of any good webcams which are?

---

Thanks.

2. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Unfortunately I don't think you'll get the iSight to work. iChat AV wont allow you to try video chat if you don't meet the requirements. You might be able to use a different webcam with Yahoo Messenger or other video chat programs but it wont be as good an experience. Some logitech cameras support Mac (it even says on the packaging) but make sure you research properly first.

Good luck!

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

4. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

5. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

It's not an iMac, the OP has a Powermac G4 dual processor 450Mhz. I don't think iChat will let you even try to video chat. It certainly wouldn't on my old 500Mhz G3. So it's not a question of your computer being capable it's a question of weather it passes iChats checks.

6. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Check the specs

You have an OLD 500Mhz G3.

The specs (quoted from the iSight web page) are: Mac OS X v.10.2.5 or later, 600MHz G3 processor or higher, Broadband Internet connection.

That includes any G4.

I haven't used an iSight myself, but I have used a MiniDV cam with iChat on an OLD G4 400 PowerBook and it worked fine talking to a buddy with an iSight.

7. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

My apologies, looks like you're right. I skimmed the iChat video/audio requirements table and took it to mean any G3, G4 or G5 as long as its 600Mhz or more. In actuality it says: "600MHz G3, any G4 or any G5" the same as the iSight web page. Sorry again :eek:

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I used to not meet qualifications with my G3 iMac and i used this app http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/ to get past those requirements. It actually gives you more control over the iSight than apple gives you and you will be able to use it with a G3 iMac 500 just fine. It worked with no issues at all.

Good Luck!

Ed

9. aramil2003 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! So I can use an iSight camera with the G4 then?

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

10. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

How far is the move?

How far is she moving?

Let us know how it goes once she gets moved in and set up.

We all love a love story.