iSight Discontinued

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacSA, Jun 30, 2006.

1. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Now that iSight has been discontinued in Europe.. what are we supposed to use if you want to use iChat video conferencing? From what i've read on here. getting other webcams to work is a nightmare. Apple will need to release a new model.

2. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Really they're discontinued? I guess Apple figure people will eventually have the new Macs with built in iSight so they won't be offering an alternative. I sold mine when I bought my MB, I never ever used it anyway.

3. dcv macrumors G3

The iSight is not discontinued; it just won't be sold in Europe from tomorrow because of some new EU directive or something-or-other (sorry I don't have the news link to hand). This also applies to the Airport Extreme and eMacs if I remember correctly.

They have very limited stock left at the Regent Street store - I called them up yesterday to ask, but they're the usual price, not discounted or anything.

4. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

Discontinued in Europe then.......

5. Queso macrumors G4

You can use any firewire capable camera, even a camcorder if you have one. Not as cheap as a webcam, but far more versatile, and most people have DV camcorders now anyway I would have thought.

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

iSight needs to be updated with better specs and the price lowered. The current revision should be discontinued.

7. xflare macrumors newbie

Oh great, another strike against the Mac for afforability.

PC Webcam from £6
    Mac "Cam" about £300

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What's stopping you from using a £6 webcam?

9. Queso macrumors G4

Don't panic. Once the official iSight is out the way, Belkin or Keyspan will jump in with a cheaper replacement product.

As for the cost, the iSight was a lot more expensive than a PC webcam anyway. Good for it's time, but I don't think it'll be missed.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

11. xflare macrumors newbie

Haaaaaa Good luck getting one of those to work on a Mac. :eek:

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I've got a USB logitec that works fine - granted it was $AU50. What's the £6 cam you'd want to use?

13. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Web Cam

I have an iSight at home but in work use a cheap (£16) Macally IceCam which with a small bit of software (half price at £3 with camera serial number) works with iChat, quality not a good as iSight but for that price it works fine and it is USB powered.

As Macworld UK reported last week, the decision to stop selling the products (AirPort Base Station, eMac, iSight camera) is to bring the company in line with the new European Union Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2005 (RoHS).

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i hope apple quickly resdesigns them, or takes this optertunity to hurry up updated versions of them, 802.11n stuff and a HD webcam for like £150

15. dcv macrumors G3

Er, yeah *ooops*, sorry MacSA, I read that as "it's a discontinued product", not "it's no longer available in Europe" :eek:

16. Magnus Reftel macrumors member

iChat maybe? It arbitrarily refuses to work with non-firewire cameras (though there's a hack that makes it stop being picky).

17. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Macnally IceCam works fine with iChat and iChatUSBCAM, no problems and it's USB

18. dcv macrumors G3

19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The Airport Base Station too... that explains why I couldn't find them on the Apple Store yesterday despite a fair bit of trawling.

20. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive.

It kind of sucks even more Apple are apparently happy to continue selling these things outside Europe without fixing them :(

21. danny_w macrumors 601

I work for a company that recently had to redesign some of our products to comply with RoHS, and it can involve redesigning your hardware completely if there are no RoHS-compliant versions of the components that are used in your product. Its most significant aspect is elimination of lead content, and not all components are available in a lead-free version. Perhaps Apple is in this boat, or just don't sell enough in Europe to justify the expense and time investment that would be required to have met the deadline. I'm sure that Apple won't be the only company by far that has to quit selling product until they can comply.

22. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yeah, and good luck getting it to work on a PC even! ;)

23. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Don't worry. New designs all over the world will almost certainly be non-toxic thanks to this law. Nobody would want two versions to design, test and keep track of and they cannot easily ignore a market the size of EU. Besides, non-toxic substitutes of these building materials will probably cost no more in the near future as the volumes grow. Long term gain for short term pain, I think it is worth it.