iSight echo

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ja Di ksw, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    Hi all,
    I have an iSight that I use with my PB, but the audio has never worked well. The problem is when I speak, whatever I say gets picked up by the iSight of the person on the other end, and then sent back to me. I hear everything that I say come out of my speakers a couple seconds after I say it.
    The two ways I've tried to deal with this are:
    1) Lowering the volume. Sucks, because then we can't hear what the other person is saying.
    2) Wearing headphones. Annoying, I don't want to have to put on headphones everytime I use an iSight, and be stuck to sitting right in front of the computer if I want to keep talking with them.

In all the pictures of people using an iSight, they are just right there, no headphones, and of course it works fine :rolleyes:
    Any suggestions on other ways to use an iSight with no feedback?
  2. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2005
    Ontario, CA
    i think its more an issue of the person on the other end having poor speaker placement and or them having the sound up too high. I work with an ibook and the gf uses g5 imac and we have similar problems that are usually corrected by lowering speakers or moving isight.
  3. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    the iSight has an attachment for putting it on top of a PB (or iBook) screen. I'm hoping that's not just a useless attachment and that you can actually use it and not get an echo.
  4. davebl macrumors member

Oct 26, 2003
    its feedback from the other user/your mic. try using headphones or placing the speakers further away from the mic.
  5. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    I talked about the headphones, and the speakers on a PB are built in.
  6. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    The heart of Europe
    So, the person on the other side uses a PB as well?
    He/She could
    a) turn down the volume
    b) move the iSight
    c) move the lid with the iSight on it.
    d) use the built-in mic instead of the iSight's

It's all about the relative position of your chat partner's speakers and mic.