isight for ibook hmmm???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CaptainCaveMann, Oct 10, 2004.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    hello all just wondering here im using cable modem and want to know if anyone has used the isight on there ibook the ibook id be using with it has a 1.2g processor and 512 of ram 60 gig hard drive just wondering what would be the performance as far as other people watching it would it look like real time? or would it have delays and stuff how about the quality of the picture anyway any help would as always be greatly appreciated... peace all fellow mac users yoot!!!
  2. AirUncleP macrumors regular

Dec 19, 2002
    Anyone try hooking up a digital video camera instead of an iSight camera to your mac to be used with iChat. If so what make camera?
  3. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    I use my Cannon EURLA 10 I. Works great BUT, the auto shut off is a big distraction, not able to turn the feature off. When in use, I have to adjust the zoom every so often so not to go asleep. I would much rather have an iSight but the camera works, great picture and quality. I will soon be traveling more, leaving for extended amounts of time, and will be getting in iSight for here at home for my wife while I use the camera.
  4. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    i have tried it but it doesnt work i dont think. i have an olympus mju 410 digital. if anyone knows how i could get it working it would be much appreciated.

well back to the topic of the thread. i think isight will work fine on the ibook. i have seen it working on a 1.25ghz 15" pb and it was working just fine. i dont think apple would make a product if it wasnt able to work on the majority of their computers.
  5. Benj macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2004
    iSight on iBook

I use the iSight on my g3 900 iBook (640 RAM). Works pretty well. Very occasionally slows up.

(I have standard 512 ADSL if that is of any relevance)
  6. telecomm macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    Little bit of a threadjack up above, hmm?

Anyway, I'm running the isight on my Rev. B Powerbook, which has a slower processor than you've got, and the isight works just fine. (I've got a bit more RAM, but that shouldn't have too much of an impact). Isight, when running, uses about 30–40% of the processor power, and doesn't cause any hanging at all. Video and audio are perfectly synched. It's great, I use it to speak with my gf back in Canada, and it works really well. Enjoy!
  7. budugu macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2004
    Boston, MA
    It works perfectly fine with my ibook. The quality is excellent. but at the same time quality also depends on the other party's internet connection etc. So the internet speed is of much relavence than the computers. I recently read an article in mac world or some other place about using a video camera for chatting. So in principle it should work. But if you chat a lot then just get the isight. you will not be regret it. It is extremely easy to place it on your ibook.
  8. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    I have a 667G4 powerBook with 512MB or RAM and the video portion of iChat runs perfect, I use my camera but I would image it is the same as using the iSight. I also have a 1.25G4 iMac with 768MB or RAM and the performance is excellent. I am also on a cbel connection.

Real time? Good question, all my connections are one way. None of my friends or family have an iSight or firewire camera. I would assume it is pretty good because last week I had a friend walk me through a game and the camera was pointed at the screen.

I apologize for not adding this into my previous post.
  9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i have a rev a. 12" pb, my isight works flawlessly, it really does depend upon internet connection, my parents said the the quality they see is just about how it looks on my computer, which is outstanding, but they have DSL and i have Cable, so i know that internet speed is just as important
  10. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    nice!! thanks for all your input and dude i want an isight!!!!
  11. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    I've just recently purchased an iSight and being able to see people when you're talking to them is something special! And it's worth paying that little bit more for the iSight which makes it a simple process and a joy to use. Like other posters have said, you're setup wil be fine, the important thing is the internet speeds of the two users.

I'm just excited for Tiger, when iSighting is going to get even better! :)