iSight for lectures?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by toezter, Mar 31, 2006.

1. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

does anyone use them for lectures in class? how well does it work? what software are you using to record?

*yes my school allows this.

2. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I don't have an iSight but know that with QT Pro you can record video feeds, so I would totally use that. QT Pro is only $30 so it's a great deal. You could probably find some freeware out there too.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Be aware that's it's not really the school that has authority over this. It's the individual professor who decided whether or not he/she will allow audio/video recording of lectures. Be sure to clear it with your prof first.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why just not telling him/her that they're being shot/recorded? Not a big deal

5. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

when you have a isight pointing at him/her and your notebook open lol, there not going to catch on are they.

6. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

One of my friends used his iSight with QT Pro to record all his grad school lectures. He'd burn the MPEG4 file onto CDRs for his classmates and of course he'd have a/v review material in addition to his notes. It seems like it could be a great study aid.

BTW, iMovie also lets you record from the iSight, so if you have a version of iMovie that has that feature (5 or later, I think) you don't have to shell out for QT Pro.

7. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Just make sure you sit close enough.

I have done this, but it's still a fairly wide angle lens, so make sure you sit near the front row, or the video will be mostly of all the distracting things your classmates do during the lecture.

8. BlueT macrumors member

Because that's an invasion of the professor's privacy and could be considered illegal in some respects. It's also really rude to tape people without their permission, IMHO.

9. toezter thread starter macrumors regular

toezter

every professor i talked to doesn't mind. as long as i'm LEARNING from it, its ok.

i tend to sit in the back of most of my lectures, because 1. i don't want to distract anyone with my computer, and 2. if i fall asleep, no one cares.

10. Timepass macrumors 65816

Most are not going to care but chances are you will run into one or 2 who will care.

It going to be that 1 or 2 who do care that can get you in major trouble. like the guy above you stated there can easily be legal coniquences of doing this. And if you start giving it recording of it you can bet that some more are going to start caring and tell you not to do it

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Where's the expectation of privacy on the part of the professor? The college or university may already have a policy in place about recording lectures. If that's the case then the professor, whether he/she likes it or not, and the students, have to comply.

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Lucky you! If I fall asleep everybody notices it, as I am a pretty big guy - 193 cm (6.33 feet) tall :D

BTW I try not to sleep at the lessons ;)

13. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

While the university/college might have a policy in place as to whether they permit the taping of lectures, I think each professor probably has an additional right to add conditions onto that permission or deny the taping all together.

Keep in mind that often when universities or colleges allow stuff like this, it is not a policy that grants everyone the right to do this, but rather does not limit anyone from doing this. It's their way of saying, this really doesn't hurt us or help us, so we don't mind if you do it.

But keep in mind the professor might mind (for whatever reason) and he is certainly going to want to be assured that someone is doing this for his/her personal use only.

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Of course the professor has the ultimate authority. My father, a math professor, has been asked numerous times and he always says no because he has no idea what the student might do with the tape.

15. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

What could they possibly do? Sell it? ...it's just a video of him teaching math...what could be the worst thing someone does?

16. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sure they could sell it. The problem is that you never know what someone can do with it...it's the things you don't think of that will get you. Edit things to make it appear he's doing something improper? I don't know...

I know the lengths students have gone to for certain things...I would put anything past anyone.

The fact remains that academic freedom means that a professor has the right to run a class however they want, especially after they have tenure. It doesn't matter why...the prof makes the rules.

17. Timepass macrumors 65816

Other thing to add is some profs go around making money at seminars about the samw stuff they are teaching the students. The students could take the record lecture and sell it for money and the prof would not et the money they should of earn

As for tenure I dont like it. A lot of teacher get sticks up there rears after they get it and stop caring about students.

18. toezter thread starter macrumors regular

toezter

thank you guys for the legal matter, but this is not what i'm asking for.:rolleyes:

19. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

when i was in school i once asked to record a lesson (audio). The teacher point blank refused and got quite annoyed with me. At the time I never really saw how it could be a problem for him (just for the record, I respected his request for me not to record him). Now I think its a huge invasion of privacy, i definitely wouldn't like it.

20. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

The objection to recording having to do with protection of intellectual property makes way more sense than the notion of privacy.

The act of teaching in a classroom is public. If a teacher gets too private with a student, that's grounds for termination.

I'd go to the department head or the dean before asking the prof. The risk is, of course, that my grade would suffer due to the prof just not liking me. The possible reward is that I'd have a great a/v study aid which could help me ace the class (if there are enough objectively markable assignments).

21. bearda macrumors 6502

That isn't nessicarily true, especially at a private school. I know a lot of professors at my fiancee's small private collage would have balked at both of those statements.

Andrew Beard

22. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Not necessarily. The higher ups do it all the time. So privacy is more or less nonexistent in today's world.

23. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I considered doing this for my philosophy lectures but determined that recording audio is good enough because who wants to see the prof more than he has too? Audio is good enough and more than you need.

24. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Agree :) Get a nice accesory for iPod for example, like iTalk (if you have iPod :rolleyes: )