iSight for previous Cinema display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bankshot, Dec 8, 2006.

1. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

I'm thinking about getting my parents an iSight for Christmas, so we can do video chats. My dad has the previous generation Cinema display on his Power Mac G5:

[​IMG]

Do any of the current mounts that come with the iSight work for this display? The Apple Store website says it comes with three:

It's not clear which mount, if any, would work with the previous display. Does the new magnetic mount still work with the old plastic display? Or is the laptop mount big enough to fit on the top of the Cinema?

Thanks for any insight!

2. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Yep -- I have this display plus the current iSight, and there's a mount that works just fine.

EDIT: Ok, I'm a total liar -- I rushed out my reply before. Apparently I don't have the current iSight. I don't think the new magentic mount would work on this display, but they could just use the desktop mount. I use the desktop mount a lot actually, because it's way more flexible and you can use it to show more. Sure, you usually have a slightly "up-angle" view, but it's really not so bad. They could always just prop it up on something higher if need be.
    The laptop mount might even be big enough too, though not entirely sure.

3. bankshot thread starter macrumors 65816

bankshot

Ah great, thanks for the edit - otherwise I was about to ask for confirmation. :D

According to the MacRumors Guide on the iSight, the newest Rev C iSight indeed leaves out an older Cinema/Studio display mount. That's kinda crummy. I guess Apple forgot that many of those displays are still in service? :(

There's still some ambiguity here, because Apple's own iSight page says it comes with 4 mounts, yet the Apple Store page only talks about the three as I said before. And the accessory kit (an extra $30 for one more mount, weee!) says it ships in 2-3 weeks.

I think I'll probably just go down to the Apple Store this weekend and see what they have to say.

4. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Sounds like your best bet. Who knows? They might even have one of the old mounts still available for you.