iSight + iChat AV + PC AIM Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JackSYi, Apr 20, 2005.

1. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

Feb 20, 2005
    Hey guys, I had a quick question. I had recently bought an iSight for my PowerBook, so I could chat with friends from home, and also with family. I am the only person running a mac with iChat, and everyone else uses PCs. I can't seem to have even a one-way video conference with my friends through AIM and iChat, is there any way for this to be possible? Please any advice would be great.

Me (iChat + iSight) ----> Friends (PC, AIM)
  2. lordmac macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2004
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Well it should work just as it is, it does for me i do it all the time. Make sure that they have the latest versions of aim installed as i think only 5.5 and up support video chats. Are you just unable to fined the option to do it or are you tying to but then it doesn't work? Because to start a one way video cha you have to select their name on you buddy list and either right click it and and there is an option to have a one way video chat or select there name and go under buddies and select one way video chat. When they don't have a web cam them selves it wont put that handy little camera icon next to there name. Hope this helps. :)
  3. JackSYi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 20, 2005
    Thanks for the reply, but I think I got it to work; they need the newest version of AIM, like you said. But AIM 5.5 doesn't seem to let me have video conferencing though. Anyways, thanks.