iSight/iChatAV users - help please...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by GrizzlyHippo, Nov 15, 2003.

1. GrizzlyHippo macrumors member

Can anyone using iSight and iChatAV answer some quite basic questions for me that I cannot glean satisfactory answers for from the Apple site:

1 - Do I have to have a .mac account in order to use the iSight/iChatAV to video conference or can I use my existing ISP account?

2 - I am thinking of getting an iSight for me and a.n.other PC iSight clone for my parents so that they can see their grandson growing up... So, what would be the best PC video conference camera and software to buy.

3 - What PC ISP is needed? Do they have to have an AOL account or can they use any old ISP and just run some specific software? If so, what software?

Thanks for any inSight (oh dear, that was bad!!!)

Grizzly

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Some answers to your questions:

1.) You don't need .mac to use ichatAV. Any internet connection is fine. If you want to use video, both parties need broadband. For just audio, a modem is fine.

2.) To videoconference, both computers must be running ichatAV, with means both computers must be a mac. Currently ichatAV is not compatable with any PC software.

3.) Again, PC's won't work. And a broadband connection is required for video chat.