iSight + iPod + iMac G5 Problems

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Fump, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Fump macrumors newbie

My iMac g5 finally arrived. I ordered it with an iSight camera, but when I connect both the iSight and iPod 3g both connected via firewire, things get a little odd.

Sometimes the camera will not work, sometimes the iPod will not be detected, then 20min later will pop up for no good reason. If you replug on it will be detected, for a short time.

I have seen a few posts around about this issue and I guess my question is, is this related to power? Would an external powered firewire hub fix this issue?

2. pncc macrumors regular

That is likely the issue. The developer specs for the iMac clearly state that the FireWire bus has a maximum 8.5 watts of power shared among ALL FireWire ports. This is LAME and a serious limitation IMO. Why Apple continues to make great products with flaws like this I will never understand.

3. Edot macrumors 6502

had the same problem

You can only have one plugged in at a time. I don't think there is any way around it.

4. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

What's wrong with the USB 2.0 connection? Unless you don't have the cable...

5. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

maybe the external powered device WOULD work?

6. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I have the same issue with my PM G5, and always have. However, the ports in conflict are the front and back firewire 400's. I'd assume they were on separate busses...but maybe not. Also, instead of having problems with an iSight and an iPod, it's an iPod and a DV camera....which doesn't need to draw much power (if any) to run. So when I unplug my camera, my iPod syncs up, and vice versa. Very frustrating.

7. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

My thoughts exactly. FireWire for iSight, USB 2.0 for iPod, problem solved. USB 2.0 is actually faster than FW400 for my Canon scanner.

8. Fump thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I picked up a Macally USB2.0/Firewire powered hub last night and plugged the iSight into the iMac along with the hub. I'm running an iPod and Sony DV cam off the hub with no issues.

I could have gone with the USB cable, but I keep that one with me for syncing my mini to a Windows laptop, and didn't want to keep having to swap dock cables.

9. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The iSight + iPod problem is common among ALL Mac models, not just the iMac.