iSight Or PC-Compatible?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Kelg6, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Kelg6 macrumors newbie

Jun 16, 2004
    My friend and I went to look at web cams and noticed Apple was only selling one product (iSight) and so we went into the store's other camera section. I found that PC cameras were really cheap and a camera compatible with both started at 100 bucks. So now I guess my price range is 100 to 150. This new-to-mac user just wants some suggestions on which to buy. Thanks. :confused:
  2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Forgot where I saw it, but the is a rumor that the iSight is going to be upgraded.
  3. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    All the reviews I have seen indicate that the iSight/iChat option is very high in quality and satifaction. Having not played with anything other than the iSight (and that was in store, not over the internet) I can't really be more helpful.
  4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    The iSight is like any other Apple thing...
    Quality, Solid, Expensive, Simple
  5. svenr macrumors regular

May 6, 2003
    Most every USB or Firewire cam will work.

What you should look at is
    • the resolution. iSight is 640*480, which is fairly high, many other cams are only 320*240 - a quarter of the picture size
    • the framerate. Not sure what iSight is, but you can check on Apple's site. If you want smooth video you should look for at least 24 FPS (frames/sec)
    • does it have audio support, built-in mic?
    • how it connects to the Mac, USB or Firewire. iSight is Firewire wich is fast enough for full-resolution video. Many cheaper cams are USB, which doesn't have enough oomph to handle skip-free video
    • whether it has auto-focus, i.e. can it make a sharp picture no matter how far away it is from the object?
    • (and of course the design, but that's persoanl taste. I think the iSight looks much better than anything else out there.)