Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
have you been impressed with it. i havent , looks cool on my display though.

iJon

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
so far...

So far, I've been impressed with its ease of use. Literally plug and play. At full screen the video is a little pixel-y but I guess that is to be expected. The audio during some chats seems to get muffled over time. The FPS doesn't slow too much when it gets into low light.

If you have a PB on airport, like we do, you can give someone across country the dime tour of your house by just carrying the book and the iSight around. It's kinda fun.

All around, its a nice little gizmo. The little experience I've had with video-conferencing has been troublesome until now. This is more than easy to set up and go. The packaging is very classy too. I haven't been impressed like that since I opened my iMac.

If this is in "Distributed Computing forum" i'm sorry. I thought it was in "Mac Topics"...

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by iJon
have you been impressed with it. i havent , looks cool on my display though.

iJon

Why not? I love mine. It does a far better job than I expected (though I am a pessimist). Great sound, solid video performance. Color/brightness/contrast issues will be resolved in future releases of iChat (I assume) as the camera is capable of adjustments, but the software isn't. For more info, I refer you to:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/isight/iSight_reports.html#storytop

Dan

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I think apple wants maximum simplicity tho and that may mean the loss of control on certain items in the isights picture and video quality

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by alset
Why not? I love mine. It does a far better job than I expected (though I am a pessimist). Great sound, solid video performance. Color/brightness/contrast issues will be resolved in future releases of iChat (I assume) as the camera is capable of adjustments, but the software isn't. For more info, I refer you to:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/isight/iSight_reports.html#storytop

Dan
i cant get it to work over a LAN. i think its just the ichat software. everytime i connect to someone over the lan it gives me a "person is another conference." this is over audio and video. althought this isnt a problem with the isight. but i have used the isight over the net and quality wsnt that great, but i guess thats expected, but it sure as hell looked good with steve and al gore. the more i play with it and if it grows on me more ill buy one. it does looks cool on my cinema display though.

iJon

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
question

this question mayhave been asked before, but will iSight work 'one-way'? As is having a video chat with on one side while just audio on the other...

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
This camera is a nice thing, although it only working with other mac / ichat users makes it extremely limited.

Sadly, most everyone I know and chat with is on a PC. :(

nice packaging, though.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Re: question

Originally posted by obeygiant
this question mayhave been asked before, but will iSight work 'one-way'? As is having a video chat with on one side while just audio on the other...

yes the person with the cmaera must intiate this feature tho and the other use msut have ichat av of course

bwawn

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
I'm not trying to threadjack, but obeygiant... what kind of camera did you use to take the photos of the iSight and its packaging? Was it digital? What brand? The photos look great.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Recording capable?

Hey obey giant, got a serious question for you.

Can you hook it up to your PowerBook and start recording to HD automatically or even try doing so with iMovie running to do it? What I mean is have the PowerBook in your napsack and the iSight threaded through the strap to saddle alongside your shoulder to record.

Next can you even hook it up to a 1st or 2nd generation iPod to record images?? ANyone daring to try?

Just very curious since right now I cannot afford either of the two.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
photos

to bwawn:

I took the pictures of the iSight gizmo with a Nikon D1x with a 28-70 f2.8 lens in natural light.

In answer to Prom1's question:

I've heard that the iSight doesn't work with iMovie, so I don't think I could record to the HD there. But I just downloaded Quicktime Broadcaster and have begun to play with that a little. (although I'm not sure how to start a web streaming event) There is an option to record to HD. Having the PB in a napsack may not work unless you were to leave it open so it would go to sleep. Besides you'd have to have a way turn on/off the recording. This is probably done best by a handycam or something.

In order to stream something with the PB and the iSight, you are just limited by the range of the airport. But I could walk around my whole house without it dropping out or anything....

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: photos

Originally posted by obeygiant
to bwawn:

I took the pictures of the iSight gizmo with a Nikon D1x with a 28-70 f2.8 lens in natural light.

In answer to Prom1's question:

I've heard that the iSight doesn't work with iMovie, so I don't think I could record to the HD there. But I just downloaded Quicktime Broadcaster and have begun to play with that a little. (although I'm not sure how to start a web streaming event) There is an option to record to HD. Having the PB in a napsack may not work unless you were to leave it open so it would go to sleep. Besides you'd have to have a way turn on/off the recording. This is probably done best by a handycam or something.

In order to stream something with the PB and the iSight, you are just limited by the range of the airport. But I could walk around my whole house without it dropping out or anything....
quicktime broadcaster is difficult, only if you dont read the instructions. go read them on apples page and youll be up in no time.

iJon

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
read the directions?

well before i read the directions, i have to try all the buttons, get frustrated, and walk away. Then I'll be ready to read the directions..... tongue firmly in cheek.. ;)

but thanks I'm gunna try it...

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
The box looks almost identical to the new iPod boxes, and I was very impressed with the packaging when I got my iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.