iSight PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by michael iverson, Aug 10, 2005.

1. michael iverson macrumors newbie

My son is moveing away and taking our granddaughter with him. We would like to keep in touch. Is there a way I can get iSight to work on his PC and communicate with my mac? If not what webcam, software etc would I need to get for his PC.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

In a word, no iSight will not work under windows XP. Mostly because of the mic. However, people have found tweaks. I for one would simply save my money and buy a PC web cam. There are many fine ones out there made by Logitech and Creative. Anyone would work. I do not know if any have a built in mic, but he can get a mic for less than $10 now.
    I would suggest that before tossing the cash for an iSight in hopes it works on windows.

3. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Yeah iSight is pretty pricy. Get a normal webcam that's friendly to the PC, it's way cheaper that iSight...i highly recomend Logitech....

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

You can, in fact, get PC USB cams that even look like the iSight at the same quality for a fraction of the price (no Mic, though)

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Just to clarify, the iSight WILL work with XP, just not the audio. So you'll get the video image but no audio.

6. allegrocm macrumors member

Hey,

I scoured the web trying to find info on how to do this after seeing it working at school (I kid I know was able to make an iSight see in infrared on a Linux computer! It was pretty sweet.) But when I plugged my iSight into my PC, it didn't recognize it or work in anyway. What do I have to do to make the video from the iSight work on my Windows box? (I want to video chat with a chick who has msn...) Thanks.

Ken

7. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Are you able to fire up iChat on a Mac and Video-link to a PC user who is using a PC-based WebCam and PC-Based IM software?

I actually thought that wasn't possible so whether he was using iSight or a PC-based Webcam was irrelevent, but I'm overjoyed if I'm wrong.

Vanilla

8. allegrocm macrumors member

I think I got 2-way to work with one person. What I've dealt with more is one-way video chat wtih me sending video. That seems to work with about 30% of people. About half of them won't connect properly. The ones that do, the connection is usually dropped after 30 seconds or so, due to the "no data received for over 10 seconds" error. Of course, a lot of problems stem from PCs just sucking. I gave a friend of mine a webcam for christmas last year, and her PC would ONLY recognize it through msn. So to video "chat" with her, I had to turn on MSN on my PC and watch her and turn on Yahoo on my Mac so she could see me. That was another one where iChat wouldn't connect properly.

Ken

9. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I know Apple wants to sell the iSight/iChat AV thing as one more reason to switch to Mac but come on already - make it PC available like the iPod and it would sell like hotcakes. The no sound on a PC thing is probably more a software than hardware issue. Clear out the old iSight stock by rejiggering the software, repackage everything as "for Mac/PC" and get it out before Christmas. Every student/student, student/parent, long distance family/friends combo would be all over it.

I love my iSight - bought 2 for me and my Dad - it has brought us closer together. I also use it to chat with friend of mine who now live overseas. We even had a 3 hour video Scrabble-fest just the other night.

10. mkmpanic macrumors newbie

pc person finally got it to work...

i updated the firmware of the camera, run Skype/Festoon (beta), have Splitcam running and it works GREAT. many hoops to jump thru, but worth it quality wise... plus i use it on mac/pc