iSight Question...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by crdean1, Nov 14, 2005.

1. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I just purchased an iSight, and with no focus option (it's automatic), I have a question.

I have been using my sony video camera HC-40 as a webcam for ichat. When I hooked up my new iSight, the picture quality is pretty good, but worse than my vid cam.

Is it just that the most advanced webcam is still not advanced to the quality of a video camera, or is there something wrong with my iSight?

**I am a first timer when it comes to buying a firewire webcam, so this may just be a stupid question, but I appreciate your help anyway.

crdean1

2. alexprice macrumors 6502a

I would imagine that the bandwidth would be the biggest thing to effect the quality of the picture.

The iSight is IMO the best webcam out. It doesn't suprise me though if a Video camera does have better quality as it costs five times as much.

Alex

3. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Thanks, and one other question about this, maybe I am being overly concerned, but it also makes a very loud noise when focusing (like a loud short puff of air), and when I get up and go into another room, it is continually trying to focus, so I have to come back in and turn it off.

Does anyone else have an iSight, and does yours do the same thing. I don't want to take it back if there is nothing wrong with it; however, if there is, I would like one that works properly.

Thanks in advance for your help.

crdean1

4. devman macrumors 65816

devman

my iSight does make a sort of buzzing/whirring sound when it autofocuses. THat is normal. However, it is not normal that yours should be continually autofocusing. Make sure there's nothing in the field of view that might be making it do that.

You can turn the ring at the front to close the lens which would stop it. But it shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

5. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Good to know, thanks. I only have the constant "readjusting autofocus" sound when I get up to go get a drink while chatting....maybe it is just trying to find something to focus on while I am up, but it doesn't constantly do it while I am in the camera view.

That sound is just annoying. Thanks for your help.

6. devman macrumors 65816

devman

It shouldn't be doing it. If you've eliminated the obvious, I'd take it back for a replacement. Is it connected to a laptop? If so, take your laptop in as well and try another iSight. That would prove if it is your iSight or if it is something to do with the setup on your laptop.

7. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I think it's a normal occurrence. I think the iSight has trouble focusing when there's nothing obvious to focus on. Both mine and my girlfriend's iSight do the same thing. It is a bit annoying, but it's a price I'm willing to pay for the best quality video chat out there.

8. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Thanks guys, I hadn't thought of (duh?!&#$) taking it in with my pb and trying one at the apple store. I'll do that next week, and see if it does the same thing with one of their iSights.

Thanks very much.

9. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Interesting. We've got 3 iSights. None of them do this.

10. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Cool. Let us know what happens.

11. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

never had a problem with mine. i take it everywhere i take my powerbook. which is, well, everywhere. i've been doing stop motion stuff with it too, with iStopMotion, and never had trouble with focus, quality, or anything else mentioned.

hmm, maybe get it checked.

12. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

mine makes that noise...its just adjusting focus most likely...no worries...mines been doin it for 6 months whenever a sudden move happens