Isight Question!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by guccirush007, Jan 9, 2006.

1. guccirush007 macrumors newbie

HI,

My issue is this... I have AIM/AOL and I am able to see myself on webcam.. however noone else can unless they HAVE a webcam... My first question is- "DO you have to have a WEBCAM on both ends for both people to see you?" Does the person I am chatting with HAVE to have a webcam to see me? If so WHY? They should atleast be able to see ME if I want them to... Also if they are using windows for PC platform... can they use a pc webcam and still connect with me through my isight although I am on a mac?

My second major ISSUE is.. WHY is the isight only compatible with AOL/AIM? I was told when I bought this it would be compatible with MSN Messenger for windows AND the MAC version... I have both and the isight does not show up on it... CAN ISIGHT be connected to msn messenger for MAC??? PLEASE help me!

I called APPLE tech support and they couldn't even help me! They told me to call Microsoft! Anyhow- one guy did say he was able to get his ISIGHT working with the MSN messenger for MAC platform.. do you have ANY idea how to do that?? The thing is ALL my freinds are on PC's and have MSN messenger..

THANK YOU :)

2. devman macrumors 65816

devman

You can invite a buddy to a one-way video chat which will let your buddy see you.

I can't help you re: msn. I don't have it.

3. guccirush007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that.. and it would only let me invite someone who had a camera... if they didn't it wouldn't let me choose it in the tool bar,,. maybe I did it wrong.. How do i do it? Do they have to have ISIGHT if I want to view them or can they have a pc webcam..?

4. alexprice macrumors 6502a

First of all you can blame Microsoft for not adding Video support to MSN for the mac.

You can use iChat to talk to pc users with webcams if they use AIM.

As for not being able to one way chat, I would imagine that Apple don't get enough demand from customers to include this into iChat.

I hope this helps.

Alex

5. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

There are several people that can help via the apple discussion board. I recently tried all of this. If the messaging service doesn't support video for mac, then you won't be able to see your friends or your friends see you, whether it be 1 or 2 cameras. That said, I don't think MSN supports video with it's Mac version.

On the other hand. I can iChat with my bro in law (after some careful research) on his windows pc, but there were some things that had to be in place before this happened.

1. He had to be running Windows XP and using AIM.
    2. Both of us had to be using a webcam that had a built in mic.
    3. He had to go into his video preferences and tweak the "tuning" of the webcam mic to hear me.

I have heard you can use Yahoo messenger as well, but haven't tried it yet.

See this for more discussion, and let us know what you find out.
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1246514&#1246514
    and
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1443307&#1443307

Edit: also for one way video chat, I would think they would have to have audio capability as there is no "Video to Text" chat. Hence, they would have to have a microphone....and since I don't think iChat AV works with windows (on AIM) unless the other user has a webcam with a built in mic, you would be out of luck unless you were talking to another Mac (the "invite to one way video chat" button).

6. guccirush007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do blame them! It's so frustrating.. so basically you are saying if they have AIM and a webcam on PC.. then I can video conference with them on my mac with isight? If that is my only choice- then
    I will have to tell all my freinds to upload AIM! Do you think that's the only answer? aren't there any hack like ways?? lol

7. devman macrumors 65816

devman

huh? From the iSight webpage. http://www.apple.com/imac/isight.html

Or are you saying that one-way video chat is Mac to Mac only?

8. guccirush007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow so much info and yet I adon't know what to do! The link you sent was very helpful! THANK YOU.. one guy said you could do it if you download mercury.. what is that? Do you think that would allow the ishgt to work with the other pc user trying to chat with me? I am not sure where to go from here!

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

10. guccirush007 thread starter macrumors newbie

And do you think by using thisit willhelp my problle// allow me to use my isight?? ahh so confused.. does the other pson i am chatting with have to have mercury or can we use msn with mercury??

11. alexprice macrumors 6502a

I imagined wrong in that case. Thanks for the info.

12. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Since none of us know, I would suggest you do several things.

1. Register with apple's discussion site (if you are not already registered)....or at the very least do some specific searches. The two links I provided are two threads out of hundreds on that specific topic. I just picked the two that might help you most, but there are several more you should read through. There is a guy named Ralph or something that is excellent with iSight questions relating to Mac vs. PC compatibility. Post a thread stating exactly what you want to do, as you did here.

2. About that link I sent you, the guy named steve said he was talking to "his MSN friends" using Mercury. That would tell me that pc users don't have to have mercury, only you....you might have to try it and let us know if it works.

3. Relax, breath, there seems to be a way to do this....most people (like me) just get it working a certain way they are comfortable with and don't do anymore research (like my situation with my bro-in-law).

4. Take a look at this too. I don't know anything about it, but saw it on an Apple discussion board. At that time (10/2005) it did not work with iSight, but it looks like they just updated it (by looking for 5 seconds at the website). I would email someone on their website and ask if you can use it with other msn users and if it supports iSight with Mac. Link: http://amsn.sourceforge.net/

That said, have fun surfing, and welcome to Macrumors.

crdean1

13. Lazyhound macrumors regular

I didn't really care much for aMSN, I'd recommend Mercury over it (be sure to get version 1710 for improved webcam support). Of course, they're both free, so you might as well try both of them.

14. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

I've used an isight with Yahoo messenger before. Wasn't one way though. The other party was using something on a yahoo box that had a seperate microphone and webcam.

15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Just dont expect any sound using Yahoo! as they deem us Mac users as less than art thou and havent upgraded the OS X client since 2003. Yahoo video works fine, jsut gripes me that there is no audio available.

I do one way video chats every now and then, when it fails it is usually because the other party isnt using the newest version or aim, or doesnt have the XP video codec thing that is required for the older versions. Both are available at AIM's website.

I really really hope the Yahoo gets off their ass and makes us a new client that isnt as crippled as the current version is :mad:

Ed

16. guccirush007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

thankyou- I just posted anew thread on the apple sight and checked out the sight you said to check out.. so many sights! i need a tech person to talk to! What is your msn addy?

17. osprey76 macrumors 6502

Is this a bandwidth problem, perhaps? You need broadband on both ends for video chatting. Did your cameraless friends have broadband or dial-up?

18. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I don't have an msn address. I use iChat (via AIM)

19. guccirush007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou It Worked!!

I just want to thank you and everyone else for all your good support! Here is what happend...I FIRST downloaded aMSN... couldn't get the webcam to work... maybe I did something wrong.. but then i downloaded MERCURY! WOW- it WORKED! Actually... FIRST I had to go into my system preferences.. sharing... etc.. b/c i was blocked by my router.. so I followed the PERFECT instructions MERCURY gave me and it worked... I already used my ISIGHT and I was viewed by my freind and I saw her too! I am so HAPPY! you made my day... thanks again for your help... I think I downloaded 1709.. and I know you said there is 1710 version... I might check it out! THANKS AGAIN! MERCURY is awesome!

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Also keep in mind that the iSight in the iMac G5/intel != the external iSight Firewire camera. The built in iSight is attached by USB internally and does not have all of the OSX drivers the Firewire iSight camera does.

21. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Does that mean the built-in iSight only works with iChat and Photobooth and maybe a few other apple apps, but is otherwise limited? Or does it work almost the same as a 'real' iSight?

22. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

AIM, MSN etc suck. use iChat (if your buddy is on Mac). iChat rocks!