iSight removed from apple store?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sharky II, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Sharky II macrumors 6502

Sharky II

At least in the UK... gotta be a new version coming soon? I've been waiting for an upgrade ever since the mbp's came out...

Cheers

2. dcv macrumors G3

It was removed on July 1st along with the Airport Extreme and eMac due to some EU legislation regarding the use of hazardous substances, or something-or-other. This is very old news.

3. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Well at least you guys got the bloody things, our store has had both the iSight and Airport extreme as "Call for availability" for the past year! :(

4. Trippy Jr macrumors member

Bearing this in mind, I would imagine that they're either going to:

• Refresh the iSight line and bring it in line with EU directives, or;
    • Continue the trend of incorporating the iSight into the displays of other products, a la MB, MBP, iMac. This is also an oft-discussed possibly for the next update of the ACDs.

Personally, I would not expect them to put one in the next generation of ACDs. ACDs are targetted primarily at the professional or office user - i.e. someone who doesn't have need for one. There's little to be gained by including it. There is, however, a lot to be gained by updating the line and selling that.

Failing that - I spy some on eBay. ;)

5. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502

Sharky II

I really hope they update the line. I really need to buy one, for me, one for my family, and one for a work colleague. Yeah, they need to update the line really badly...

Cheers

6. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I reckon they'll refresh them for those who don't have in built iSights. I don't reckon they'll be put in ACDs and even if they do, not all headless mac owners will buy ACDs.

7. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I hope they refresh them as well. Bear in mind the Airport base stations have also been affected.

I'd like to buy a new and improved iSight but without any hints I'm considering one of the old ones - even if it is £100 for 1.3 Mega pixels.

8. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

9. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yeah they'll still be available outside of Europe, which is also bad news in terms of an update. :(

10. MustardMan macrumors member

Am I the only one who really HATES webcams built into monitors? I mean, for my macbook it's fine - I don't want to lug an extra webcam along with me. But for a desktop? Even if I had one of the new imacs with a builtin isight, I'd buy an external one. The builtins have no adjustability - what if I'm slouching in my chair and the camera is showing nothing but the top of my head? What if my dog is doing something cute and I want to show it to the person on the other end? Keep the webcam out of my monitor, thanks! I want mine on a wire.

11. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

well the beauty is, the built-in isights haven't affected the design of the macs they're on. i guess you can still add an external if you want to though i am not sure if it will be a problem to configure. that would be interesting to find out.

12. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

BTW guys, I went into the Regent Street store today and they had loads of iSight cameras still for sale. They were £99.01 brand new.

While I was looking at them, this guy got really pissed off with one of the store guys because he had to pay a restocking fee on some non-faulty, used/opened £25 iPod in-ear 'phones as it was outside the 14-day return limit.

"I'm afraid you've lost a customer for good," said they guy. :rolleyes:

13. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I hope they do refresh them... mine is as hot as hell, even when it's not in use.

14. MustardMan macrumors member

I use an external isight with my macbook and it works fine, other than the annoyance of having to keep going into the ichat prefs and select which cam I want to use. I'm still gonna be a crotchety old man about webcams in my monitor, though :D