Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several readers have noted that Apple's online store now has an estimated ship date of October for external iSight cameras. Slipping ship dates can be an indicator of updated or new product offerings, although other causes such as increased demand (perhaps due to increased Mac Pro and Display purchases which lack built-in iSights) can also contribute to longer ship times.

The iSight was last updated in March of 2005.

Digg This

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
skidooairman said:

Exactly, and since I'm getting a C2D MBP with built-in iSight, this doesn't really concern me as a consumer. However, it is just barely interesting enough to warrant some people raising the "update" question/rumor.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Wow october seems so far away...but it's about flipping time they updated these things. $150 for that bulky camera....bleh!

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Considering the iSight is banned from sale in 25 countries because of it failing health and safety requirements, it's overdue to be redesigned.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
it would be nice to see a redesign, better quality, and a price drop. however, for many people who are buying new machines, this does not matter, since the new laptops and the iMac have the built-in iSight. i was planning to get one for my parents who are using my Mac mini but i suppose i now have to wait for the updates. perhaps there's something bigger in the works :)

Gm7Cadd9

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2005
isight revision?

When I went to the Apple Store on the apple campus (for WWDC afterparty) they had a WWDC special where they had the airport extreme and the isight marked down 20%.... how rare is it for apple to have a "sale" on anything

Mind you it was only in one store... so moving extra inventory was probably not a motive... but worth a mention I thought.

-Roy

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Gm7Cadd9 said:
When I went to the Apple Store on the apple campus (for WWDC afterparty) they had a WWDC special where they had the airport extreme and the isight marked down 20%.... how rare is it for apple to have a "sale" on anything

Mind you it was only in one store... so moving extra inventory was probably not a motive... but worth a mention I thought.

-Roy

It's probably just a promotion, like the free iPod Nano is a promotion. They don't necessarily have sales, but Apple does like promotions.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It's about time. Back when the iSight was introduced, the quality was worth the price, these days, cameras with the same, or even better quality are a dime a dozen.

parenthesis

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2003
Here and there
jholzner said:
Does anyone know if you can use the external iSight on Macbooks/pro that have one already built in?

I know that it works when using an iMac (I had an old iSight, and wanted to see what would happen). There is some fighting in the software over which camera gets used (e.g. PhotoBooth will refuse to use the other one, but iMovie is fine if you tell it to use the second video stream).

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
jholzner said:
Does anyone know if you can use the external iSight on Macbooks/pro that have one already built in?

I have a Rev A 2.0GHz MBP that as I am typing this is powering my 30 inch ACD with my Rev A iSight with no problems whatsoever (in clamshell mode if that makes a diff.)

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Perhaps...

The built-in iSight in the newer Macs are all USB now, right? I'd hazard a guess that they are going to release a USB 2.0 version and orphan the firewire version.

And 20% off is good, but I scored mine for $79 at my local Apple store. Even better, it was not a return, just had a broken seal on the box and a hefty discount. :D I then snagged the accessory kit on sale for $9 so I could hook it up to my display (I have the older Quicksilver-era Studio LCD).

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
KingYaba said:
All these "indications" appear to be wishful thinking. We'll just have to wait and see. :D

But it's probably true. It's old hat and sorely in need of an update. Apple seems to be cleaning house. Why not update really old peripherals such as the iSight as well as their iPods and computer lines? It seems to me that Apple has a lot to announce this fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.