Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
Even though that's scary, at least my isight has a little green light so I know when I'm being peeped on.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Very neat trick using Quicktime and Quartz Composer, but I'm not entirely sure that could be exploited to send data, rather than just display it on the users' own computer. Can Quicktime send data outgoing, and if so, can it access the necessary video stream to send data from your webcam?

I'm guessing no, simply because if it was able to gather any meaningful data (ignoring the webcam thing entirely) and send it without user notification, this would have already been exploited on the web in one way or another, since Quicktime is installed on tens of millions of computers. The iSight connection would only work on a newer Mac, obviously, and would seem to require an additional layer of data collection and transmission on top of just, say, user environment variables.

'course, that's why they put the light on there, and Flash can do the same thing--except in the case of Flash, it specifically asks if it's ok for the site to access your webcam and/or microphone (for obvious reasons).

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
It looks like the capture is all done locally and just called by the webpage. I would say it might be a minor security concern, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. At least when you do it the iSight light comes on so that you know that something is using the camera.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
celebrian23 said:
I never knew Bill was such a pervert!

Well, the man did kinda invent that evil product known as Windoze- so I would not hold his character in high regard. ;) :D

celebrian23 said:
There's a good chance he's seeen me naked then :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just be glad that it was not the other way around.... :eek: :D

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
This is not new. Any web/video camera paired with a simple Quartz composer composition can produce this effect. Everything is done locally, no need for alarm. Also should note that you need 10.4 for this effect to work. It is no different then playing a QuickTime movie.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I have an iSight and all I got was a black QuickTime box. I'm running 10.4.7, my iSight's connected, and the shutter's not closed. Who knows?

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
wow, that is interesting...when I first got my iSight I would think people can see me and I would always make sure it is off....

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
I usaually just rotate the lens cap on my iSight camera on top of my monitor-was paranoid before seeing this I guess. Too bad the laptops (um portables) and iMac do not have a cover like my old reliable iSight camera. Life will go on...

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
dmw007 said:
Well, the man did kinda invent that evil product known as Windoze- so I would not hold his character in high regard. ;) :D

Just be glad that it was not the other way around.... :eek: :D

There would be nothing to see:D

DisturbedSith

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
Bay Area
Kernal Panic

I don't know if anybody else encountered this, but trying to close that webpage sent my intel iMac into its first kernal panic ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.