iSight with iMovie sucks a$$!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iChan, May 8, 2004.

1. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

I am trying to "record with isight" within iMovie and it works like a charm for about 1-2 minutes and then just stops!! the clip timer keeps going up but the image stops.

for some reason, the programs reverts itself to edit mode after the 1-2 minutes...

it isn't a problem with the camera as when i go back into import mode, the video is still being received...

does or has anyone else experienced this problem and could anyone offer a fix?

yours,
    iChan.

PS. I am using the latest versions of everything.

2. dragula53 macrumors regular

just recorded a 3 minute movie

no stops..

4 minutes..

5 minutes...

dunno what to tell ya.

damn video conversion is slow, by the way.

glad that isn't one of my hobbies.

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I thought there was a 3 minute cap on such recording, which uses 3 gigs of hardspace a minute. Not sure why the cap is there...

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

this is from the imovie help. open the help and search for isight.

You can record up to 9.5 minutes of video at a time, as long as you have enough disk space (a 9 minute clip takes about 3 gigabytes of disk space).

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

How much free space do you have on your hard drive? The video takes a ton of space and iMovie will behave like that when you run out of space.

I'm not sure why there would be a 9 minute limit on iSight recording, but I also can't see why anyone would record 9 minutes straight on an iSight in the first place. But the part of me saying that is the side that has tried to edit my old home videos when I used to shoot everything. 30 minutes of video usually yields 1-2 minutes of usable footage. Shoot smarter, not longer.

7. iChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

iChan

I have 50GB free on my HD. so that should not be a problem. I also input video from Bro in law's digicam and i was able to get limitless video with that... (also, didn't need tot be converted! ugh!)

i really don't know what it is... quite worrisome though.

PS. I just want to record a video message for my family back home... not really an uncommon practise. with a 9+ minute limit, it would be more than enough, i also don't mind the video breaking into a number of separate clips. I just don't want it stalling!

8. About2SwitchOvr macrumors regular

GCam.. hmmm

I was thinking about trying this program out... Can you give us input on how it runs? Any cool features?
    Thanks!

9. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Sure, you turn it on - choose your video quality, audio quality, compression, resolution - etc. You can do anything. Snapshots too. It's free - download it and play around.

10. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Frame rate up to 60FPS. I'll post some screenshots in a second.

11. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Okay, I tried to get a bunch of different shots. shift+apple+4 is BRILLIANT! :D

12. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

13. About2SwitchOvr macrumors regular

Absolutely Great!

I appreciate this Carletonmusic. I'm at work now, and I'll play around with this once I get home. In the meantime.. I wonder if it has a motion detector? Like EvoCam?
    Hmmm...

14. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Lectures etc.

I understand the idea of recording "smarter" rather than longer. It works great for creative projects where you can edit scenes together. I am interested in recording lectures at the University that are an hour and a half long. Fifteen minutes of conversion to DV time kind of kills any hope of capturing much of a lecture.

15. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I haven't seen that feature on this program, but I haven't looked extensively. Probably not for a free program.