ISight work for mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by I'mAMac, Aug 28, 2006.

1. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Hi, I'm probably going to get the mac pro and I just wanted to know, will ISight would work for it? thanks

2. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Duh.

It works with all macs with firewire.

The MacPro just doesnt have a built in isight.

3. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

ok thx. the reason i asked is cause on the sight it said the requirements were powermac g3-g5 processors. thx

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, it's just something that hasn't gotten updated properly in their store pages. The iSight works fine with Firewire Intel-chip-based Macs. Although of course only the Mini and the Mac Pro don't already have one built in. :)

Also if you go to the site that discusses what hardware you need to do various kinds of iChatAV activities (host multi-party audio, host multi-party video, etc), the Intel-based macs should be able to do anything on the list.

5. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

I find it strange that the higher end laptop (pro) wouldn't have the built-in isight when the macbook does. Before the upgrade, the difference between the ibook and powerbook was just that... faster, bigger hd, option of superdrive on the 12 inch models and such.

oh well.

6. ironic23 macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure the MBP has a built-in iSight. Seems so on my machine.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The Mac Pro meets very few people's definition of a "laptop" although it is certainly high-end.

8. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Oops. Read that wrong. :p

9. cpgneinc macrumors newbie

Will iSight work on Mac Pro?

On my iSight: firewire 400 cable. On my Mac Pro: firewire 800 ports. Adapters available. If you use the front port, I'd recommend the short cable adapter, instead of the solid plug changeover type, to take the stress off the port and avoid possible damage.

10. waw74 macrumors 68030

since the last post in this thread was 6 1/2 years ago, i'm guessing they have solved their problem, or possibly don't even have this computer any more.

11. macmesser macrumors 6502a

Probably. But I just read it and found it useful. Just took down an old G5 with an iSight that will now go on myOS 10.7.5 Mac Pro.