Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
I'm trying to decided whether I should get an iSight. The deal breakers are 1) whether iSight works with other programs other than iChat, and 2) whether or not my friends in the PC world will be able to see me.

I would really appreciate your input. My thanks in advance.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Anyone on AOL (it is my understanding) will be able to chat with you.

BUT Thinksecret have today announced that we expect an update to the isight in the next 2 weeks, so I would suggest you hold off incase they do a major update.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
1) The iSight does have other uses. It can be used to take snaps, record movies (integrated with iMovie) or even as a barcode scanner (Delicious Library). Here's a little article on alternative uses for the iSight. But make no mistake, the iSight is a webcam first and foremost.

2) Yes they will be able to see you (iChat to AIM). Most likely more clearly than you'll be able to see them.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
The issue is that most pc'ers use MSN and don't like to move to AIM simply because you want to use your iSight. I have many pc friends and associates who all use the default MSN and simply refuse to go to AIM. You cannot use your iSight to chat with people on MSN.

You can with Yahoo Messenger, but that only allows video no voice.

Sure you can use your iSight for many other functions as munkle mentioned above, but if you think you will be happily camming away with people then your in for a disappointment I'm afraid.

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
I have some friends on mac and PC that have iSights/webcams and the picture-taking sounds good. Lets see what the update will look like.

I was under the impression thought that more PC users use AIM, not MSN. About 85% of my friends online have AIM. I don't have any facts to support my claim, though if anyone has hard numbers, I would love to see them. :)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
gamestriker said:
I was under the impression thought that more PC users use AIM, not MSN. About 85% of my friends online have AIM. I don't have any facts to support my claim, though if anyone has hard numbers, I would love to see them. :)

I think generally AIM is popular in America, whilst MSN is more popular in Europe.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I have 3 friends on MSN messenger - 1 out of the US, one has AIM also, and one just has MSN internet access...

AIM is much more popular than MSN

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
dotdotdot said:
I have 3 friends on MSN messenger - 1 out of the US, one has AIM also, and one just has MSN internet access...

AIM is much more popular than MSN

Well there you go gamestriker, all the proof you need!

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
munkle said:
I think generally AIM is popular in America, whilst MSN is more popular in Europe.

Perhaps you're right. MSN seems to be the chat client of choice throughout Europe, Asia and Australia. AIM is not popular in a lot of countries I talk to.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Bern said:
Perhaps you're right. MSN seems to be the chat client of choice throughout Europe, Asia and Australia. AIM is not popular in a lot of countries I talk to.

I really hope they add more protocols in Tigerm especially MSN support

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
Bern said:
MSN seems to be the chat client of choice throughout Europe, Asia and Australia. AIM is not popular in a lot of countries I talk to.

nah, I'm from Germany and all my friends have recendly switched to AIM (except one who is still on ICQ)

vSpacken

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Can you use the iSight with any other chat programs, such as Adium?

Another noob question- if I buy a different cam like the inferior but cheaper Macally IceCam, would I have more flexibility with PC users?

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
vollspacken said:
nah, I'm from Germany and all my friends have recendly switched to AIM (except one who is still on ICQ)

vSpacken

Das ist sehr gut :D

The point is they use to be MSN users before you got them to switch.

How did you convince them to switch from MSN to AIM? :rolleyes:

atomiton

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2004
AIM

AIM (America Online Instant Messenger) is mostly popular in America

The rest of the world uses MSN.

The MSN client is better for IM on the PC... as opposed to the clunky AIM for PC.
iChat is a good client but far from perfect.

intrepkid21

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
Long Island, New York
madmaxmedia said:
Can you use the iSight with any other chat programs, such as Adium?

Another noob question- if I buy a different cam like the inferior but cheaper Macally IceCam, would I have more flexibility with PC users?

Adium doesn't support video chat..yet..I suspect it will be awhile..you can't even send files over adium yet..at least it doesn't work for me.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
Bern said:
The point is they use to be MSN users before you got them to switch.

How did you convince them to switch from MSN to AIM? :rolleyes:

hahahahha... no, guess what, they used ICQ

I know only ONE person that's on MSN... everybody else is on ICQ or AIM

vSpacken

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
atomiton said:
The MSN client is better for IM on the PC... as opposed to the clunky AIM for PC.
iChat is a good client but far from perfect.

all PC people I know use Trillian anyway... (not counting the Linux crew which grows from week to week...)

vSpacken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.