iSkin Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mms, Oct 3, 2004.

1. mms macrumors 6502a

I've had my iPod mini for about a month now. Originally, I had heard that the aluminum (or aluminium, just to keep everybody happy) won't scratch, and didn't bother getting a case. However, just recently, I got a nasty scratch in the worst of places, right on the Apple logo in the back, blemishing its appearance :(.

Because of the positive review I saw at ipodlounge, I'm leaning towards an iSkin mini right now. Does anybody have any positive/negative experiences with iSkin? The lack of information and updates on their website isn't very reassuring and I'd like some opinions before I buy.

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I am sorry for being negative....but...

Why would you get a iskin for a mini? really? The mini's are colored, pretty good job at resisting scratches...plus i would think it would make it almost bulkier. just my opinion though...

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have an iSkin exo for my 3rd gen iPod, its great at protecting it and helps it to stay put on my car and desk, it doesnt add that much to the pod either in terms of thickness

4. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

for an ipod...it isnt that bad. Considering it adds color, durability, and a different appeal. I just didnt see the use for one on an ipod mini, that is all.

But if you wanted it anyways, they are high-quality and are reputable.

5. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

check out the crystal jacket on ipodlounge.com. Best mini case imo.

6. Miner Willy macrumors regular

iSkin mini

I'd go for the iSkin Mini "Ghost" as it's called, to you and me that's just plain old silicone. I bought one for the wife's mini iPod and it's great. You can still see the original through it and it really doesn't add much to the bulk of it. Another thing is that if you are remotely clumsy then it'll give that extra bit of protection when you knock it off the kitchen table. I also like the screen protector.

The only downside is like any silicone jacket is that they pick up dust like crazy...

7. wide macrumors 6502a

When I first bought my mini, I hardly used for fear of scratching it. I ordered the iSkin the day is came out, and it added so much bulk to the pod that people thought (and I thought) it was ugly. So I stopped using the iSkin, and now when I move around with my iPod I just wrap the headphones around the body and don't worry about it.

In other words, your iPod will get scratched. You probably don't notice it, but the white area on the top and bottom of your pod are probably scratched too. Even though I have been using it without a case, my iPod is in great condition and looks new unless you take out a microscope.

the iskin isn't worth the money. if you are decided on getting a case, I suggest the radware sleeve for the mini. it protects it and maintains its original form

http://www.radtech.us/Products/PodSleevz.aspx

8. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I don't have a mini, but a 20GB 4G with the iSkin and I think it is great.

The screen protector is the best feature. I do wish that it was a bit cheaper though.

I am from the school that it your iPod gets scratched from use, well that is what you bought it for.

That being said, if the scratches bother you, then the "peice of mind" that an iSkin can give you is worth the money.

I am not so concerned about scatches, but I do like the additional protection that an iSkin can give for drops, etc.

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i personally bought a mini after selling my 3rd gen. because i couldn't stand the scratch prone chrome back or the thought of adding more bulk and/or not being able to appreciate the iPod as is by adding a protective case. mini is very scratch resistant - the only thing painted on in the back is the apple logo and other small trademarks, which do scratch, as you noted. (i really wish apple could have laser engraved the apple logo and "ipod" part...)

the point of mini is that it's small - true, many cases hardly add any bulk, but i'm personally against it for the mini. i paid quite a bit of money to use that thing as is, with absolutely no added bulk or hassle or clutter of an added case...

just my opinion...