iSkin Protouch for Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davetan9, Oct 27, 2006.

1. davetan9 macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2006

I couldn't find any of these on UK websites so it looks like I'm going to have ship one from America. My question is whether these will fit onto the UK keyboard of the macbook pro.

2. Kreamy macrumors member

Jan 2, 2005
    AFAIK, no, they won't.

The UK 'return' key is differently shaped than the US one, amongst other minor aesthetic differences.
  3. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
  4. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2006
    South Australia, Australia
    this is very interesting - why is the UK keyboard 'slightly' different - surely that would cost Apple money to do this?

I recently purchased a MB iSkin and it's exactly the same as the keyboard - interesting to learn that the MBP has been changed for different markets - however I would have though the US would have kept the physical dimensions for all english-type keyboards.
  5. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
    Over here in the UK, we have a slightly different layout for the keys on all our keyboards, just like most countries are different.

Just a quick snapshot, but as you can hopefully see, while the layout doesn't match up exactly, it still fits on properly, and there's no problem typing on it:

For some reason the @ and " are swapped around - on the majority of keyboards here " is above 2. The Apple position for these is considered to be the "American" one. (although it makes more sense in my opinion)

I don't think the Macbook covers are up on the UK store yet - I ordered this from iSkin directly, but the "Pro Touch" one worked fine on my Powerbook, and I don't see why it wouldn't on the MacBook Pro.

On the UK store, there are three different layouts you can choose when ordering:

Keyboard (local) & Mac OS (français)
    Keyboard & Mac OS
    Keyboard & Mac OS (français)
  6. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2006
    South Australia, Australia
    Andrewfee: I actually don't understand what you (and others are saying here). Even with the pic you put up (thank you) opf the keyboard still looks the same - I'm speaking of physical dimensions here - are we both talking about the same thing? So:
    - are you saying the UK keyboard is physically different (not the key labels)
    - or are you saying both or neither?

Your keyboard looks exactly the same as my keyboard - the '2' and '@' are together etc. I guess I'm struggling to understand why change physical dimensions ever so slightly - for that matter though - I can't see any difference between your (UK) keyboard and mine.

Also the iSkin I have (the box) - doesn't say US (or UK or Francais or Au etc) keyboard - just indicates 'macbook keyboard'.
  7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Do you not see the much larger return key on the right side of the keyboard? And the smaller left-side shift key?