Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chungbob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
are there anyone here who are using the iSking ProTouch for the ibook/pbook? and is it any good/??

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
Yes! :) I highly recommend them to everyone, as well. I used my iBook for one day before I got iSkin ProTouch in the post, and in that one day I developed shiny spots on my keyboard. My friend who bought an iBook at the same time took less than a month for the letters to begin rubbing off the keyboard. I'm really glad I got mine.

I have two. I bought the pink one ("Blush," I think it was called) and the green one. The pink one is very neon light pink, and looks great with my iBook, and the green one is less kiwi green and more.. minty green/creme de menthe in colour. It looks great on a friend's PowerBook. I want to buy the blue one as well. Both work very well and have saved us from dangerous spills several times--invaluable--plus they add a nice bit of flair. I get compliments and attention from my pink one all the time. As far as fit goes, it mirrors the shape of the iBook keys, but also fits well on the more streamlined PowerBook keys; there is a little bit of give/stretch on it, so it's not exactly a perfect fit.. if they could have made it about 1/2mm smaller, it would be perfect (or maybe mine is just stretched somehow). It's washable, and once it gets on the keys it stays pretty well. I adjust mine about daily, but it's not a hard process or a big deal, I'm just obsessive. About once per month I take a very lightly dampened paper towel and clean my screen, because sometimes it exacerbates the iBook-finger-oil-on-screen-problem, but at least it doesn't damage the screen. Another cool effect is that my typing (which is otherwise fast and loud) is now super-stealth quiet in my meetings, classes, and the library. I've been using mine since March and I paid about $16 from some retailer I found on Froogle.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I had one for my iBook and hated it. I like the tactile response from the keys as I type and I just didnt get that with the iSkin. I guess it's all personal opinion though.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I have the clear one for my iBook. I actually got it for my PB (had that before my iBook). I don't really like the way the iBook's keyboard feels w/out the iSkin and I feel like the noisy keyboard is pretty much silenced when using the iSkin. I can't imagine not having it.

switchr92

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
I would get it

I have a clear one on my iBook, and while I dont like it to much, I keep it on anyway. I do like the crisper feel of the keyboard w/o it, but the letters where off so easily and on my last laptop (a toshiba) I accidentally spilled juice on the keyboard and it rendered the arrows keys, the right shift key, the delete key, the right control key and that backwards slash key all useless, making the computer so hard to use, I eventually sold it on ebay. This will protect it from spills, and I drink w/ it at Starbucks enough for it to be a potential hazard. It never needs adjusting, and you get used really quickly. I would definetely get one.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Keeps it from getting dust inside and I love them. Am getting three tomorrow --- one clear one for the powerbook and two blue for friends.

I once saw some guy on eBay who made iskin things that covered the WHOLE palm rest of a Powerbook. Wish I had bought one. I don't know how it would have worked with the trackpad, but when you think one spill of coffee or liquid pretty much fries your 'book, it makes the twenty bucks you spend on the skins a very good insurance policy. Apple should actually make them themselves. They'd make a fortune but then they would probably lose money on repairs!

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I have a nice Carribean Blue one, it's not as blue as the one in the link. I got mine from We Love Macs . It is not an iSkin labeled product but it works non-the-less (sp?).

Edit: after about a week of having one on your keyboard, you will notice how much stuff accumulates on the product.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
joepunk said:
I have a nice Carribean Blue one, it's not as blue as the one in the link. I got mine from We Love Macs . It is not an iSkin labeled product but it works non-the-less (sp?).

Edit: after about a week of having one on your keyboard, you will notice how much stuff accumulates on the product.
Are you sure? Mine clearly says the product name on the spacebar. Therefore it is iSkin ProTouch PB. Maybe you got a cheap knockoff?

itzamos

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2005
I love mine. It silences the keys, gives them a nice soft texture, has saved my keyboard from various foods and liquids, as well as kept hairs and mystery gook from congealing beneath my keys. It's completely worth the 20 bucks.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
One thing about the iSkins:

The colored ones seem to work better on the iBooks, because you can still see the lettering on the keys under the blue, green or pink skin.

The clear ones work better on my powerbooks because they have darker colored keyboards with white lettering and the clear iSkins work better than the colored ones because you can't see the lettering as well as with the clear skins.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
A word advice to all iSkin users..
DO NOT the iSkin on the keyboard when travelling..
I did it and eventually left marks on the screen.
Although you don't notice it while your using the computer..
You notice it when the screen is completely black or off.

I have since stopped using it..

**Update**
Marks are gone after using soap and water.
Rubbing Alcohol just didn't cut it.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
ericssonboi said:

Try a slightly damp paper towel. Suddenly the marks on your screen (aka oil and dirt/dust) will MAGICALLY disappear! :rolleyes: ;)

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
chungbob said:
are there anyone here who are using the iSking ProTouch for the ibook/pbook? and is it any good/??

if u have hands that sweat a lot like mine..yes..or not its not necessary..spend that money somewhere else...

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
wongulous said:
Try a slightly damp paper towel. Suddenly the marks on your screen (aka oil and dirt/dust) will MAGICALLY disappear! :rolleyes: ;)

You think i would have tried that before posting.
I even used rubbing alcohol to clean it before ..
It just doesn't "disappear"
It left imprints on the lcd

switchr92

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
ericssonboi said:

Well, thats weird. I close my lid all the time, for long periods of time, and my screen is great. I don't know what to tell you.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
ericssonboi said:
You think i would have tried that before posting.
I even used rubbing alcohol to clean it before ..
It just doesn't "disappear"
It left imprints on the lcd

For traveling, a piece of notebook paper over the LCD is a good idea with or without an iSkin

The keyboard marks will disappear. Try a light dishwashing fluid and a SOFT damp towel and some elbow grease. Had 'em on my old 400 Tibook and they did go away. Unless these are keyboard impressions into the plastic itself... in which case, contact Applecare or live with it. If it is just fingergrease, you CAN get it off the LCD. No alcohol, tho.

switchr92

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
ericssonboi said:

Well, thats weird. I close my lid all the time, for long periods of time, and my screen is great. I don't know what to tell you.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
switchr92 said:

You don't see it dead on tho.. its when its on an angle... somewhere aroudn 30 degrees when your about to close the Powerbook lid is when you see it... but other than that... it looks fine. You don't notice it on colors..

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I have a clear one for my iBook. Here's my rules.

I use it if ANY food is around.
Any drinks within 20 feet.
I do not use it when I'm in my room (unless I have a glass of water).
I use it whenever I go anywhere even if there's nothing harmful.
I don't use it when I want to type more than 100 words/minute because I cannot push the keys as fast with it.
I have a ScreenSavRz, but I take the iSkin OUT before closing the iBook because it makes it "tighter" when closed.

I overall like the iSkin, but I wish I could close the iBook with it and not worry about it being "tight" or putting pressure on the screen.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Hated mine on my PB - had no tactile response. Like a keyboard condom if you ask me. Liquid on your keyboard? A goo rule of thumb is to Keep liquids at least a few away from your IB or PBs.Paper towels to clean the screen - for shame. Everyone should know what paper towels can be abrasive (even when damp) and will leave microscratches on any laptop screen. Best to use laptop specific lens cloths or better yet a RadTech ScreenSavRz:

http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreensavRz.aspx

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
ericssonboi said:

i think this only applies to powerbook users, b/c the ibooks screens are a little thicker and clunkier, and they are set back in the plastic more so the iskin doesn't touch the screen itself.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
**Update**

After using soap and water, the marks are gone
Pretty glad that the marks are gone... but i didn't really bother me.
It just kinda bummed me out for a while that i had marks on my screen...

Thanks for the advice everyone :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.