Islamic expatriates call for Jihad in Europe...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Apr 26, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

On the front page of todays NYT, I read an article titled:
    militants in Europe openly call for Jihad and the rule of Islam
    As the title suggests, some are concerned about the increasingly vocal call to Jihad by Islamic expatriates living in the UK, Germany, France and Switzerland (among others). These expatriates openly support Bin Laden and Al Qaeda and the dissolution of western democracy and the establishment of an Islamic "superstate". Islamic militant recruitment is seen as way up (although exact figures are unknown) and is seen as a direct cause of the debacle in Iraq. Some are going to Iraq to fight, but others are staying in their adopted homelands, seemingly ready to strike if Europe does not abide by the terms of Bin Ladens' truce released a few weeks ago (pullout of troops etc). The difficulty in deporting people in most European countries, due to liberal law has exacerbated any attempts to quell this seemingly open sedition...this brings up some interesting points:
    1)Many mainstream Islamic leaders, who do not support such views, are worried both about fracture w/in their faith as well as the "demonization" of Islam in the minds of the non-muslim populace.
    2)Brings into light the problem of respecting the civil liberties of ones' citizens, while trying to combat destabilizing and perhaps openly terrorist tactics
    3)With the visit of Jean-Marie Le Pen, a French far-right leader w/ unusual broad-based support from European Rightists, to the UK to visit the British National Party (white-supremacists, at least in part)...and a larger trend of rightist, xenophobic gains in European polls...there is the possibility of something really nasty brewing in Europe...
    I think this is very troubling news, for reasons listed and others I am sure you can imagine...any comments on this turn of events? I was particularily drawn to this article because it mentions Luton, Bedfordshire...which is where I grew up (dunstable, actually)...brings it a little close to home...(Please, I know Luton is a s**thole, with a crap football team, so no jokes about that.)

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

can we make fun of Slough?

seriously, i think this report pretty much squashes the idea that invading iraq would actually reduce terrorism. vive le idiocy!

3. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

If you must :D
    I am actually tempted to keep the article in my wallet as it has Luton on a map, so someone here in the US might actually have an idea where I'm from w/o the inevitable "Is that near London?" comment...
    As far as your second sentence, Yes...seems rather hard to dispute...I am just worried that here, stateside, the Bush administration will use this as evidence as to why we deserve to have our civil liberties curtailed...the other side of my family(who is Japanese-American) were interned in camps during WWII, so I am sensitive to the spectre of xenophobia and errosion of civil liberties...

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that's my concern, too. further, bush will claim that terrorism would not worse had iraq _not_ been invaded; impossible to dis/prove w/o a control experiment, one must rely on logic.

much like how the economy would have been that much worse w/o the tax cuts.

i'm really having a hard time imagining the world ever being as safe as it was. might this evolve into a western world vs. islam for decades to come?