Isn't h264 codec built in QuickTime..??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Thrash911, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

I try to play H264 video clips in QT, but the playback area is completely white. And there is no audio.. Am I missing something? I made the clips with HandBrake. I tried both Baseline Profile, and Normal Profile for the H264 encoding..

What is wrong?

2. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

Does it play in VLC?
    Which version of QT/OS X are you on?
    What did you encode from?

etc.

The Void
    The Trudy are back!

3. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Thanks for answering..

They all play fine in VLC (cool player btw - didn't know of it). Both QuickTime and OSX are the very latest version as of right now (just checked for updates).

I encoded the files directly from a DVD source in HandBrake. Maybe I should just use VLC as the main media player, as it seems to be very nice. Side question..: What media player is generally preferred on mac?

4. daze macrumors 6502

daze

I generallty tend to use VLC, because you don't have to buy the Pro version of QT to view in full screen. Having said that, VLC's buggy in a few areas like fast forwarding, etc.

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

You might try this plugin for QT:

/trac.cod3r.com/perian

6. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

I'm not sure about your encoding problem, but the extra info might help others answer. I haven't used Handbrake, as I don't rip DVDs hardly ever (I used DivXray last time I did).

As for the player question,.... how long is a piece of string? Ideally, one would play everything in QT, since it's built into the OS, and all that, but sometimes there are the occasional files that it chokes on, so it's always good to have VLC as a backup.

Personally, I like to have playlists for my videos, so there are many options (mostly front-end GUIs to QT) to choose from:
    Cellulo
    Democracy
    Niceplayer
    DJO Player
    etc
    or even iTunes

I'm currently leaning towards Democracy, as it's still under development and looks like it might end up being my killer video app, but it's not quite there yet, for me. YMMV.

Anyways, make sure you've got the Perian component installed for maximum QT-compatability, and have fun Googling all those App names ;-)

The Void
    Hoop! Hoop!

Edit: Oh, and you've got to have MPEG Streamclip for conversions too.....

7. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Thanks everybody!

After having installed Perian, QuickTime eats all the 264 clips I made. On the Perian site, it also stated that the 264 codec was among the codecs in Perian. Guess I wanna check out the frontends as well.

But on apples official page, it says that it's a part of QuickTime. Hmm.. :confused: Well whatever..

But now it's all good. Thanks a lot for your help!!!! :)

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

H.264 is supported by QT and Apple uses it for many of it's movie trailers on their site, and aren't iTunes Store videos encoded in it too?

HandBrake must be encoding with some different specs that QT doesn't like, or maybe in a container that it doesn't support (are you producing MOV or AVI files?)

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Apple uses H.264 is the default codec in .mov files. There is a difference between H264 and H.264. The latter is a part of the MPEG-4 standard (MPEG-4 Part 10); the former, a license-free clone of H.264. It would appear that Handbrake's implementation of H264 is less than fully-compatible with H.264.