Isn't it too soon to rip DVD's to iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kavika411, Feb 24, 2007.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I recently started a thread asking what the purpose of the optical audio out cable is for on the Apple TV. I believe every response but one said that it is intended for an inevitable iTunes upgrade to allow multi-channel sound, such as 5.1, SACD, DVD Audio, etc.

So, does everyone who has spent hours and hours using Handbreak or whatever to rip their 5.1 DVDs to iTunes intend to re-rip them when iTunes' multi-channel audio is rolled out? Just curious.

2. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

The only reason I rip DVD movies to iTunes is to put them on my iPod.

When ripping DVD's to iTunes using HB it GREATLY reduces the video quality. If people wanted to watch the movie in all it's beauty I think they would just put in the DVD. I think compressed video is MUCH more bothersome than stereo audio when watching movies.

What I am saying is the great majority of people with an Apple TV are not too concerned about HD video and surround sound.

AS HD video is not available from iTunes at the moment as far as I know

In the future this may be a whole different story though.

3. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

I have thought of re-ripping. I'm not sure yet if I want to make a separate version for Apple TV @ full resolution (854x480 or 1024x576) and 5.1.

Joshua.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

iTunes DOES support surround sound audio. You can play surround sound files in itunes and your decoder will decode them just fine. However there is a catch. All audio mods must be turned off. So EQ off....sound enhancer off, sound check off. All those things. Volume set to full in itunes. THEN you will get the 5.1 to run just fine. I find it easier just to play surround sound things in quicktime though as i don't like turning all those things off.

5. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Thanks, Trainguy77. I haven't heard that from anybody but you.

As someone who is eager to put all of his DVDs on the computer and box up the DVDs - just as I did with my CDs after ripping at lossless - I am hesitant because it seems there are too many video and audio concessions you have to make to get the content into iTunes; I can't help but think that the evolution of iTunes will inevitably fix this, hopefully sooner rather than later. Perhaps I am wrong. ;)

6. pengu macrumors 6502a

can you provide some more info on this? If I have an MP4 with H.264 video and AC3 audio, will itunes send the compressed audio out the optical port to my DTS decoder/amp for 5.1 sound, or do you mean that files with 5.1 AAC sound will be output as 5.1 with an analogue 5.1 sound card (like an M-Audio Transit)??

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well the only thing i have tested for with surround is .wav files that contain DTS and dolby digital. You can then use itunes to send it to my optical out on my mac pro. However I have never tested it with videos but i assume it would be the same. First try and see if it outputs surround in quicktime. Once you get that working you can get it working in itunes. As quicktime just has less audio controls to mess up the surround. I don't know about sending it through analogue though.....First set it up in the MIDI setup program then try running surround files through quicktime. Its worth a shot.

8. pengu macrumors 6502a

a wav file with DTS? dont suppose you can recommend an example file?

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I can't find the site i got mine from. But http://www.diatonis.com/downloads_dts_ac3.html has some at the very top. if you play those in quicktime with full volume it should play in surround via optical out. I don't know if it would work with analogue though as i have never tried. It will also work in itunes if u do the steps i mentioned a couple posts ago.

10. pengu macrumors 6502a

holy crap it works.

now if only it would do the same with AC3 audio in a mp4 :(

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yeah I just did some hunting so quicktime doesn't support AC# passthrough. :( but it does work for .wav I am not sure what other formats it works for. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93870