Isnt sony losing collage?

Discussion in 'Games' started by AP_piano295, Aug 10, 2006.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

The PS3's insane price has been discussed to death but I was just thinking about a key demographic that sony may be losing with this thing.

Very often when teens go off to collage they grab a console to bring to the dorm (at least most everyone I know). But the super high price of the PS3 seems like it might alienate itself from that demographic.

Things parents are likely to buy for kids going off to collage (or graduation presents) are computers, a small tv, ipod, etc. Realitively inexspensive or absolutely necessary items (computer). It isnt uncommon for a teen to grab a console they (up till now they havent been extremely high priced even right at launch)

But with a console so hugely priced it wont be getting truly cheaper any time soon. And that could be alienating the penny pinching collage cround for years to come. Thoughts?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh the student world won't be looking at PS3's for sure. I'm at university now and people here actually spend their money on living and fee's. unless funded by parents or worked like a dog during holidays of course.
    the new Sony market seems to be the 20-30 year old worker. the casual market, normally.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But it isnt a console ;)

Sony are trying hit a different demographic, unfortunately this isn't the same demography that made the ps1 & 2 such a huge success and therein lies the danger.

BluRay inital impressions arent looking good either, so the hardware enthusiast who they were aiming at are now also looking twice....

It wont FAIL, just I think the outcome of this 'battle' will be all three companies having similar marketshare in a few years, which is actually a good thing.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

When the console gets drop on the market and things arent going as plan then I'll say its losing whatever it suppose to be winning ummmmk...

Bless

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

As others have pointed out, the PS3 is aiming for a different demographic this time around. Not too many students willing to drop $600 plus games and accessories to game on their dorm's HDTV between classes, methinks.

The irony in the title just kills me. :D

To the OP, not to be pedantic, but you should spend a bit more time in "collage" yourself; your spelling is atrocious.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! Maybe he meant art school :D Thats a fine collage :D :D

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

terrible :p ;)

8. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

They are missing a huge demographic. I can't predict what will happen, but I have my theories. I was the only person out of my 5 roommates who played games on a daily basis. My buddies would play games every few days or if a really big game came out, they would get it. They all had PS2's. I remember watching the E3 Sony conference when they announced the price of the PS3. All of my roommates who were super excited about the console immediately put off wanting one. This is, granted, one microcosom of one college, however I feel that it can be generalized.

9. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Hey... :(

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

****, at my college the popular guys are the ones busting out NESs and SNESs.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

isn't that the way! I was at a course mates house once having a bazz on the ol' Dreamcast. Before moving onto a Streets of Rage 2 co-op.

12. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I'm getting an apartment with a few of my friends next year, and we planned on each getting one of the "next-gen" consoles so we would be able to play all three of them in our apartment. One friend already has an XBox 360 and I'll be getting a Wii, but it doesn't look like my other friend will be getting a PS3. Wonder why? :p Right after the price was revealed, I asked him if he was still getting one. His response: "Whatever." :D

13. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

We haven't seen the whole picture with the PS3 if it ships with the ability to install a linux operating system and allows functions such as word processor, music player and internet browsing the PS3 could prove very popular with all markets as it would almost double as a computer if needed plus its undeniably huge market share/popularity in the gaming sector....

I know that if this type of functionality was announced I would definatly pick it up to use as a computer/console hybrid.....

SHadoW

14. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I can't agree with that view. The PS3, no matter what Sony wants to call it or how many functionalities it has, in the public's eye, it is just a gaming console. A very expensive one at that. Now, I know it has blu-ray, a hard drive, Linux and this apparently "life-changing" cell chip (off the record: I find it overrated), but the common person isn't going to care. Cool, it has linux, but your 35 year old bachlor who works at a mortgage firm is going to wonder: What is linux? Does it run windows? Why doesn't it run word? You can tell them that open office opens and saves word files but people will just look at you and go: "WORD! WINDOWS!"

15. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Exactly. The "geek" factor isn't going to have an effect on the largest demographics. You'll have a rough time trying to sell it as much more than a game console to the vast majority of people.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly, joe public is going to walk into a store and say well it's a computer so can I play pc computer games as well, errr no?? Why???? Ok then I'll put in this disc I got from the mall for the kiddies about typing and hey it doesnt work too..... Linux? What thats not windows? Well can i put windows in my computer? No?? What??? THIS IS NOT A COMPUTER? WHATS THE POINT......

Linux means less to the general public than mac osX, and it's not by anymeans a deal breaker for anyone other than a tiny tiny demography ......

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Linux isn't as "geeky" as it used to be. Linux is quite popular and a lot of people know about it. Given that the PS2 Linux Kits had the ability to have applications, web browsing, etc., it's silly to think the PS3's wouldn't.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Linux is grand dont get me wrong, but it's still an operating system thats very NOT friendly to anyone who hasnt a good knoweldge of computing?

There's a lot of manual config still in linux (editing in terminal, sumo config blah blah etc.... ) and software isnt on supermarket shelves and very few computer software stores hold any linux software.

Its just not a mass accessable product and average joe i doubt will adapt or ever use it.....

look how hard it is to convince windows users to use mac os, let alone linux...

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

there is a lot of user unfriendliness that gets chucked onto the Linux name. It's a running idea in many, many people's minds.

MRU put it across perfectly. Saying it's a computer is nothing more than to get TAX back from Europe which is going to confuse Joe Public. So rather than trying to get the system out there to make money with they'd rather take a huge lump off the Tax man and confuse people. Hmm.

20. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I see your points, but there are lots of Linux distros that have pre-built and customizable GUI installations available. They're just about as easy to install as OS X. Don't get me wrong, Linux is not for your average person, but for those with just a tiny bit of technical inclination, it can be used without much problem.

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

You guys are horrible....LOL....I guess it depends on the linux type you are allowed to install on the thing.....There are some simple distros out there.

Bless

22. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

I see your guys point with the new demographic, but i really dont think that that demographic is large enough to sell a product and make a profit or at least make the kind of profit that sony is looking for. I also agree with the fact that kids will be looking for a system to take to college. Me myself (a sophmore in college) will be purchasing a wii. The whole idea of the "Wii" being like "we" together and in a group is what draws me to it, it will be a great system to play with friends and other kids that live on my floor of my dorm. So, I am very excited (obviously).

-Matthew

23. drewyboy macrumors 6502a

Well, the only reason that it costs so much is cuz they are pack'n it with brand new technology. Mark my word, christmas of '07 it will drop to $499.99, and that being top model or whatever. Plus i know plenty of college kids will blow some of there financial aid to purchase one. I think it will do perfectly fine. As it has been pointed out b4, but not here, ps3 600 right?? what's a blue-ray player going for 1000. So, if anything, it's a blue-ray that costs only 600, good for the adult, and perfect so his kids can play on it too.

24. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

OK so i get that you can store more on a blue ray disc and that it looks better than a regular dvd, but what is the point in having a dvd that can store 25gigs of data. Most movies are around 3Gs. So, now you can fit that extras and the movie all on one disc...wow i am excited (absolutly not) this blueray crap I think is a big waste of money. If the blueray players are gunna be more then obviously the movies on blueray are going to be more expencive. I dont know about anyone else but i tipically dont like paying more than 15 bucks for a dvd. So anyway. I think that blueray=Minidisc (around for a couple of years people waste money on it, and it goes out)

-Matthew

25. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Not when they're HD resolution. They take up significantly more than 3GBs. Up around that 25GBs area. DVD Video = 720x480. High definition (HD DVD or Blu-ray) Video = 1920x1080.